Thread: Battery Tray/Box

Default Battery Tray/Box

I am in the process of adding a second battery to my riverboat.
    I am having a hard time finding a battery tray that will fit my battery box dimensions. 7.5 X 10.75. The only one I found wide enough is at West marine and it's not the strap down type, it's designed to clamp down over my battery alone. I have even looked on eBay......
    Any ideas on this? Is it necessary to have batteries in a box?

Also, Do most of you have a battery combiner wired in for charging or do you just switch your selector to "both" while running?

Thanks,

The only reason I know you should have a battery box is to keep something from shorting a cross the battery.

What I do is to use one battery going out and the 2nd battery coming back. That way I know everything is working. I never switch batteries running, yes you can, I don’t.

I dont know what "group" size your battery is from the dimensions you gave, I did get one from Napa this spring for a group 24, also ABS alaska battery has some in Fbks. and I beleive they have a store in Anch.
    The one I bought had a strap that screwed to the floor and held things in place, a good idea and can prevent a short if something gets dropped.

Also I know you can buy just the strap seperately from W-marine or Napa

I always turn both batteries on when I am under power, if I need to run the winch or some other high load device then I isolate the two so I have enough in one to start the motor.

I figure if I have two batteries I want both fully charged when I need them.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by akdanman View Post
    I am in the process of adding a second battery to my riverboat.
    I am having a hard time finding a battery tray that will fit my battery box dimensions. 7.5 X 10.75. The only one I found wide enough is at West marine and it's not the strap down type, it's designed to clamp down over my battery alone. I have even looked on eBay......
    Any ideas on this? Is it necessary to have batteries in a box?

Also, Do most of you have a battery combiner wired in for charging or do you just switch your selector to "both" while running?

Thanks,
    All of the battery boxes I have seen have been of a standard size, have you actually tried to fit your battery into any of the boxes available?

Simply built a wood cradle for my second battery, it is stowed up front under the hatch cover in my XS, little chance of stuff dropping on it. I always run on both for the same reason as AkGramps above. Want to know that the winch battery is good. I plug in a solar trickle charger when the boat is parked.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Simply built a wood cradle for my second battery, it is stowed up front under the hatch cover in my XS, little chance of stuff dropping on it. I always run on both for the same reason as AkGramps above. Want to know that the winch battery is good. I plug in a solar trickle charger when the boat is parked.
    What brand solar charger are you running and how well do you like it? I have been looking them over and think they are a great idea for emergencies and for maintaining batteries while the boat is parked.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    What brand solar charger are you running and how well do you like it? I have been looking them over and think they are a great idea for emergencies and for maintaining batteries while the boat is parked.
    I found mine on eBay. This particular type is suction cupped to the front window of VW's being shipped, I guess from Germany. It simply plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Since I have a separate socket for the aux. battery I can isolate to that if I wish or plug it into the main socket and charge only the starting batt or both, depending on the selector switch. As I recall I paid about $20 plus shipping. Just checked, there is one listed opening bid $9.99, 4 days to go. Do a search for solar auto battery charger vw and you'll find it. It is durable and performs well.