Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silvers in Valdez

Default Silvers in Valdez

Does anyone know if the silver are in Valdez yet? Any luck at Allison Point?

Default Way too early

For AP anyway

I've heard of people picking some up at the City Docks, but it was hearsay. Didn't go out to Allison Point when I was down there last Sunday. We took the boat out around the corner and picked up a few between Jack and Galena Bays. Pretty slow, we should have stopped and mooched instead of trolling the whole time, I saw a pretty good sized school about 100 feet deep when I was out there. I will be back down there next Thursday, I will have a better report then...Here are a few picks of what we caught...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default As of the 8th

Port - a few
    Jack Bay - a few more
    Galena Bay to Rocky Point - better but not a lot.
    Bligh Reef - ???
    Goose Island - limits and some people releasing 40-60 fish.

I saw many 15-16 pound fish at the Women's Derby weigh-in.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

On Tue, Wed, and Thursday I caught up with a couple large schools in jack area, the majority were near Goose and Bligh areas though. Saw a couple jumping in the bay but nothing as far as schools go. Next week I will be back at them
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

just a bump

Can anybody please tell me when the silvers get into the harbour area. I don't have access to a boat and will be fishing from shore. I was there in July stacking up the pinks off of Allison Point. Is the fishing for silvers similar to the pinks when they are in thick? Thanks for any advice you can give me. I have a buddy coming home from a tour over seas and would like to set up a trip down there.

Default Sunday

As of Sunday things have not changed a lot. There are silvers to be caught near the narrows but few and far between. One friend limited out near the gold mine but was fishing 200 feet. Yep, I spotted them on the sonar too.

Most of the main body of the school is out south of Bligh Island. A huge ball is there with nice pinks mixed in.

I will keep you all updated but probably won't fish this weekend. Got to get that roof on the house before winter hits us.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Port - a few
    Jack Bay - a few more
    Galena Bay to Rocky Point - better but not a lot.
    Bligh Reef - ???
    Goose Island - limits and some people releasing 40-60 fish.

I saw many 15-16 pound fish at the Women's Derby weigh-in.

Dave is right on the money. Bligh Island had alot of fish too, same as Goose. We spent the last 10 days down there and had an absolute ball.

A few more......also forgot to mention the 1 my daughter is holding in the above picture is not leading the Silver Derby as it's actually a White King. She weighed over 21 pounds gutted.

We had everyone in town worried when we were taking it down to the packers. Daughter got to brag because she had me whooped that day. All day she was spot on for hookups and only straighten out one set of hooks.

Sounds like its getting close to making a trip to Valdez for silvers eh!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default any weekend luck

Planning a trip down next this Friday. I will only be fishing from the shore. Have the silvers made is to the port of allison point yet?

Default bump

any new news

Question Wondering myself

Wondering how its gonna be off Allison point myself.. need to decide where I am going this weekend... any word from the folks down that way?

If it means anything, a buddy of mine down there told me he'd call if the silvers had moved in near the port in any numbers. As of today, no call.

Still, it's always a beautiful drive out to Valdez from Anchorage or the Valley if it's not pouring rain. Plenty of great views. Plus, if you take some salmon eggs, light tackle, and small hooks there are lots of very good lakes along the way to pick up rainbows if you like them. I'd go anyway. If the forecast calls for decent weather next week, I'm going no matter what. I'd go this weekend if I had the time.

Shoup Bay was the ticket today. Give'm a few more days to hit Allison

Default Heading down Sunday

k7grc,
    How deep were they running and what method did you use? I'm rigged for just about type of fishing there is, but curious if you were using bait, lure and trolling or mooching. I'll probably do both. Thanks...

Trolling, from 60ft up to 20 ft. I like to vary depth, and we caught them at all depths. using flasher, 3ft back to mooching rig with front hook with piece of herring, trailing hook red hoochie. Very speed 1.5 to 2.5 mph.(depends on wind). I don't troll in a straight line, I like to make slow turns(when I have room) this varies the depth of the long line. The down rigger stays at 60 ft.
    good luck.

One of the guys I'm going fishing with Monday is already in Valdez. He just texted me. They got 8 out of 11 hooked silvers at Allison Point today. Wasn't hot fishing, but people were picking them up, so it's not a total bust. Hopefully the next few days see a lot more fish moving in with the milder, less-rainy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    One of the guys I'm going fishing with Monday is already in Valdez. He just texted me. They got 8 out of 11 hooked silvers at Allison Point today. Wasn't hot fishing, but people were picking them up, so it's not a total bust. Hopefully the next few days see a lot more fish moving in with the milder, less-rainy weather.
    Well that might change our route..........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast