Thread: Planning ahead

Default Planning ahead

Shrink wrap for boats ?

Who
    Where
    How much ? charged by foot or time ?

Thanks in advance guys,

Norm

Am I the only one tires of taking a full day cleaning leaves and crap out of my boat when I should be fishing ?

I just pick up a monster tarp and strap it over the boat for the winter. Not perfect, but not too expensive either.

I'm planning to put the boat in the garage this winter for some re-work so won't have to deal with covering it.

In Anchorage, there's a place on Homer drive (frontage road on southbound New Seward Hwy), I think it's Brown Bear paint/body shop. They usually have a shrink-wrapped something in the yard as a billboard. Don't know cost, give 'em a call. I think Dewey's used to do it too, but not sure if they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I just pick up a monster tarp and strap it over the boat for the winter. Not perfect, but not too expensive either.

I'm planning to put the boat in the garage this winter for some re-work so won't have to deal with covering it.
    Same here. Huge tarp works every time and reinforce it with some 2x4's in strategic places.

I also remove batteries and my bilge pumps to avoid any water that would freeze/expand and ruin my pumps.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Phone Carl with Dura Wrap of alaska 907-373-3443. He does a great job and will come to you so your don't need to trailer to him and I think he is around $10.00 per foot.

I called Brown Bear on the frontage last week after reading your post. I was curious too. The guy said that it is $17 per foot for a 20ft wide sheet. Some boat take wider, some narrower, depends on your boat. One sheet needs to strech over the top of your boat and a foot over the gunnels on each side. I am think about this myself, but a ways off from putting the boat away. It is back in the driveway after another hard weekend ready for the week's cleaning and restocking.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I called Brown Bear on the frontage last week after reading your post. I was curious too. The guy said that it is $17 per foot for a 20ft wide sheet. Some boat take wider, some narrower, depends on your boat. One sheet needs to strech over the top of your boat and a foot over the gunnels on each side. I am think about this myself, but a ways off from putting the boat away. It is back in the driveway after another hard weekend ready for the week's cleaning and restocking.

Jim

17 bucks X 31' (probably longer actual overall )

= 527.00 OUCH !!
    Does BB come to you or do you have to leave your boat at the shop ?

He said that you drop the boat off there, and he tried to get it done same day. Yea, he said something like your total for my 31' boat. If others get better pricing, please post it here. I remember someone in the past that came to you to do it, which would be my preference. I am also curious if most people do this once and then think it is not worth it and go back to tarps, or if they do it every year.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Exclamation

It sucks cleaning a boat every spring

Guys I'm working on something I can't talk about here yet but just know this....

It will (economically) change how allot of us put our toys up for winter

Norm