Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Ahtna lets you hunt their caribou

  1. #1

    Default Ahtna lets you hunt their caribou

    Ahtna lets you hunt their caribou for them. http://wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/news...08-05-2009.pdf I wonder if they will start charging next year? Looks like it will be a random draw.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Default I wonder

    when the court order was issued? It seems a little funny that this was released on the 5th and all applications must be in by noon on the 9th. Heck, I'm lucky to get a letter across town in 3 days let alone to Glennallen.

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Very interesting! I wonder how this will tie in w/ the "if you subsistence hunt the unit 13 hunt then you can't hunt elsewhere in the state" stipulation...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    I still think its wrong that any community gets their own quota and their own hunt. What ever happened to fair and equal access?
    Its a good question about the "can't hunt anywhere else" stipulation since this is not one of the Tier I/II permits for Unit 13. F&G should have announced that at the same time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default LuJohn

    Not dead certain on that, but what information I got in one of Ahtnas handouts it looks like if you get a caribow 'permit', then you 'stay' in Unit 13.

    Once all the "any bull' moose permits are handed out, (1st to elders,over 65 and disabled persons) then the rest of the permit holders get to hunt the 50 in, 4 brow tine etc, about 2 weeks earlier than general season.

    Still don't know all the details locally,,,,??

  6. #6
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    So if the hunt starts on August 10th and you harvest a caribou, how the heck are you suppose to keep two quarters, atleast one of them a hind quarter, good till october for the "Community Sharing" event?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Truthfully, I don't have any idea EXACTLY how the 'commmunity sharing' is supposed to work. Its one of those little 'details' I haven't found out yet.

    Maybe by the end of hunting season we will all know.

  8. #8

    Talking

    I applied a long time ago......but in retrospect, I think now I will just show up at the "Sharing Event" and get my share. Seriously.

    This is the type of hunting your kids will be very, very glad you left for them to partake in. Each and every Alaskan is directly responsible for what this has become. Bottom line. It is a legacy your children will never be able to forgive you for. Crying Shame, for sure on us for letting it happen.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Angry

    And besides....

    Where the Hell is Kluti Kaah?


    I am gonna need directions, when I need to show up to get my share.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Pathetic. How ****ing pathetic. So is this their way of getting out of hunting? or realizing they ****ed everyone else out of getting a permit, but still believing they deserve their share..after someone else has hunted, killed and cleaned an animal. And they wonder why there is so much animosity from resident hunters.



    Or this is there way of preventing Point Hope, The Sequel
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Maybe by the end of hunting season we will all know.
    If your one of the lucky 30. Hopefully one of them is a forum member so we can get more details after this "Sharing Event"

  12. #12

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    So if the hunt starts on August 10th and you harvest a caribou, how the heck are you suppose to keep two quarters, atleast one of them a hind quarter, good till october for the "Community Sharing" event?
    If you are going to share it with me, I very much prefer mine to be in Vacuum Packed packets, exactly two pounds per pack. I would think that should suffice for most folks, as well. Please mark the packets, Steak, Burger, Stew, etc. that way I won't wind up having Mystery Meat for every meal.

    Or show up to the Sharing Event and cook them up for me. I like that too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13

    Thumbs up

    The Alaska Supreme Court has not weighed in on this .... YET, but it's acoming. They will either uphold the lower court ruling or issue a different decision. If they uphold the ruling, you can expect this is the way hunting will be for the rest of the state next year. Either way, I really don't care anymore whether your kids get to hunt in the future or not. Too few people care anymore. I will still get to hunt for the remainder of my time afield.
    Here is an exerpt of Ken Mannings web site:

    REQUEST FOR EMERGENCY EXPEDITED EX PARTE ACTION


    Kenneth H. Manning, J.D.
    P.O. Box 775
    Kasilof, Alaska 99610
    907-262-4377

    IN THE SUPREME COURT FOR THE STATE OF ALASKA

    Kenneth H. Manning,
    Petitioner,
    v.
    State of Alaska Dept. of Fish
    & Game, AHTNA Tene Nene’, and
    Alaska Fish And Wildlife
    Conservation Fund,
    Respondents. _
    _____________________________) Supreme Ct. No.S-13563

    REQUEST FOR EMERGENCY EXPEDITED EX PARTE ACTION

    Trial Ct.No.3KN-09-178CI

    I, Petitioner Manning, hereby respectfully request this Court for EMERGENCY EXPEDITED EX PARTE ACTION in this matter, based on the following.
    1. The unconstitutional regulations will be wrongfully allowed to go into effect in a few days (Aug. 10, 2009, opening day of subsistence hunting) unless this court acts immediately. Thousands of long time and law abiding Alaskan subsistence hunters will be denied all annual subsistence hunting rights.

    2. The unconstitutional grant of 300 caribou to Ahtna Community Harvest Permit (CHP) is an extreme violation of the Public Trust Doctrine where game in its wild natural state must remain in the ownership of sovereign state and cannot be ceded to a private party in violation of Alaska Constitution Article I Section 1, Article VIII Section 3. Owsichek v. State, 763 P.2d 488 (Alaska 1988) and McDowell v. State, 785 P.2d 1 (Alaska 1989).

    3. The lower court has unlawfully ordered a “sharing opportunity” where a private party (CHP Hunt Administrator (HA), determines the eligibility of other state resident hunters, in violation of the Public Trust Doctrine per Owsichek, id.

    4. The lower court has ordered a private party (CHP HA) to amend the hunting regulations with sharing opportunity details, in extreme violation of due process where regulations must be promulgated in accordance with the Alaska Administrative Procedures Act AS 44.060 et seq. Kelly v. Zamarello, 486 P.2d 906 (Alaska 1971). Such amendments are without any agency or public review whatsoever, and must be struck down as violating due process notice and opportunity to be heard.

    5. The regulations as promulgated giving 300 caribou to Ahtna CHP is an unconstitutional priority of subsistence rights to a “community” over all other individuals’ constitutionally protected subsistence use rights. McDowell, id., Zobel v. Williams, 457 U.S. 55 (1982).

    6. This extreme defiance of constitutional protections and decades of case precedents must not be allowed to take effect for one single day. It will reverse analysis of constitutional law where the first question that must be answered in each case will be: Is it a community or an individual? Because a community will now have higher constitutional rights than an individual; a very dangerous unconstitutional precedence to set. McDowell, id.

    7. A stay of the Unit 13 caribou subsistence hunt until constitutional questions can be resolved will not significantly affect the parties where we will still have over five months to hunt, thus there is no need to rush into this unconstitutional precedence on August 10, 2009.

    WHEREFORE, based on the above, I respectfully request the Unit 13 subsistence hunt be immediately stayed by emergency order pending further review by this Court.
    Date: August 5, 2009
    Respectfully submitted:
    /s/
    Kenneth H. Manning, J.D.
    Petitioner
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Part of the 'draft' dated 7/17/2009
    And under 'Frequently Asked Questions'...
    1) What is the Ahtna community subsistence hunt?

    ( the 2nd paragraph)
    "This hunt will allow for harvest of both moose and caribou consistent C&T use patterns, including BUT NOT LIMITED TO SHARING, and will help satisfy the Amounts Necessary for Subsistence (ANS) of both moose and caribou for hunters in this region." "The hunt area covers GMU 11, GMU 13, and a portion of GMU 12."

  15. #15
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Folks need to ge torganized.

    Do we have any local Hunting organizations that need our support with this?? Now is the time to chime in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  16. #16

    Thumbs down What a joke!

    Nothing surprises me anymore. Does this mean you have to fill out the transfer of wild game report as you give away half your meat?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  17. #17
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Please mark the packets, Steak, Burger, Stew, etc.
    Sure thing Akres, i will totally do that. I will also make sure to write "caribou '03" or "caribou '05" on each package too.

  18. #18

    Default hunting

    Not only do they want to keep all the land to themselves, now they want the white man to have all the expense of harvesting the animals for them in return for 1/2 or so of the animal. And then it has to be stored for 1 1/2 months at our expense so it can arrive at copper center in "very good condition". No wonder there is so much anamosity out there...
    If anyone does this hunt and does not follow there requirements to the letter, it will give AHTNA ammo to totally change it back to being an exclusive hunt. No thanks.

  19. #19

    Thumbs up Sharing Event

    The Sharing Event will be a golden photo opportunity for those wanting to rub elbows with the elite of our society. Looking at Mark Begich's calander, he is going to be there, as well as some others. It will likely be the highlight of the hunting season for many.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The Sharing Event will be a golden photo opportunity for those wanting to rub elbows with the elite of our society. Looking at Mark Begich's calander, he is going to be there, as well as some others. It will likely be the highlight of the hunting season for many.
    Do you think Sarah Palin will be there too? I got an XBOX 360 i want her to sign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •