Thread: Grayling Hot Spots?

Default Grayling Hot Spots?

Ok did the salmon thing but I'm not ready to put the fishing pole away quite yet. The DW wants to see what the big deal is with grayling but after looking at the ADFG regs and my Highway Angler book, I am at a loss as to where to go. I know everything in the Tanana River Drainage is catch and release, but where can one go to be able to catch some grayling - more than just one a day so it's worth the trip?

I also wouldn't mind a few rainbows or lake trout if grayling is gonna be a problem...just want something besides salmon for a change.

Not opposed to driving some but don't really want to go for more than a day's trip since I wouldn't have a place to stay.

FYI, if you're eating them it is best to eat them within an hour of catching them. After that they get mushy and they don't freeze well at all.

Yeah, I agree there. I would take them from the river, to the bank, straight to the pot. Make up a nice pot of grayling gumbo

Below is a pic of a big ole grayling. Not me holding it. The guy said it would have been the state record if they had kept it.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I would get ahold of Moose on the forum here. He owns blue Moose Rafting in FBKS and would be more than happy to help you out. I have chatted with him here many times and got to meet him on the Kenai this year. Also contact Vince on here as he knows quite a few spots in the FBKS area too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default around Fairbanks

I assume you are headed out from Fairbanks I would suggest hitting the upper chena do a little catch and release. Then you could try delta clearwater, shaw creek , salcha river. Grayling are a slow growing fish eat your salmon let grayling go. If you want soome rainbows to eat try quartz lake, or some of the stocked ponds. Fish and Game has a booklet with all the stocked lakes of tanana valley.

Thumbs up

denali hwy... have at it
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    I assume you are headed out from Fairbanks I would suggest hitting the upper chena do a little catch and release. Then you could try delta clearwater, shaw creek , salcha river. Grayling are a slow growing fish eat your salmon let grayling go. If you want soome rainbows to eat try quartz lake, or some of the stocked ponds. Fish and Game has a booklet with all the stocked lakes of tanana valley.
    fshgde summed it up pretty good for areas around Fairbanks. For the Delta Clearwater, I would suggest using a boat to go upriver. Theres also the Chatanika out on the Steese or Elliot, another small creek I haven't been two in awhile is Nome Creek out on the Steese. I'm not sure if you can get out there with all the fires raging around the interior, maybe this rain we recieved this morning will put a damper on them...lets hope anyway.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Yeah, I agree there. I would take them from the river, to the bank, straight to the pot. Make up a nice pot of grayling gumbo

Below is a pic of a big ole grayling. Not me holding it. The guy said it would have been the state record if they had kept it.

I remember reading about this guy, it was caught on the Niukluk out of Nome right? One of these days I will make it back up there to fish, I really want to catch a Dolly out of the Sinuk, my brother says it is a riot in the spring time. Those grayling are huge up there, glad that guy released that fish, I bet it is older than I am. Maybe next year...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wink

I have seen times at Gunn Creek, right before you get to Summit Lake, that you could just dip them with a net.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for the tips Guys! As for eating grayling, I've had them before but the DW wants to try it out, so we won't be getting many.

We have seen the Blue Moose ads too and since my truck is nicknamed the Blue Moose, it would be kinda funny if we went with him!

And yes we have read about Gunn Creek...it's supposed to be hot fishing there at times. We may give that a try too.