Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mercury Sport Jet 175

  1. #1

    Default Mercury Sport Jet 175

    Looking at picking up a shallow water river boat and have seen a couple older ones for sale with super low hours powered by the 175 Sport Jet.

    Is there a big difference between the 175 and the 200 opti-max as far as power, fuel consumption and reliability?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member wolfkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole ak
    Posts
    408

    Default My .02

    Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    Looking at picking up a shallow water river boat and have seen a couple older ones for sale with super low hours powered by the 175 Sport Jet.

    Is there a big difference between the 175 and the 200 opti-max as far as power, fuel consumption and reliability?

    Thanks

    I have ben in both a few times. I only see a small power gain with the 200. The 200 burnes less gas though. I think it was about 2 gph harder on fuel.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

    www.arcticconcealment.com

  3. #3

    Default Don't really think

    there is a whole lot of difference. The 200 being efi is a bit more efficient. I can get 6-7 gallons per hour with my 175 at the best. 9-10 gph when hauling big load and wanting to get places fast. There is not a lack of power. Not saying I wouldn't want the 200 but the 175 works great!

  4. #4
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default DFI

    Also the 200 Optimax is a direct fuel injection engine the 175 is not. Just means that it burns cleaner and is legal on the Kenai during dipping season.

  5. #5

    Default

    The 175 is a great motor. I've owned two Predators, one with the 175 and one with the 200. The 200 definately has more power on regular gas, but I was able to run premium gas and mixed av gas with the 175 and she would scream. The fuel consumption mentioned above is about right, I see between 2-5gph better on the 200 vs the 175. I did a similar hunt back to back with the different boats and brought back half the gas with the 200.

    I wouldn't hesitate to own another boat with the 175 Sport Jet, but I did upgrade for the power, fuel consumption and some of the other upgrades that they had done with the Predator. They also gave me a free 5 year warranty which is hard to beat.

  6. #6
    Member AK NIMROD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SOLDOTNA, AK
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Have 175 on small heavy boat (1400#) get 5-6 at 28mph
    i really like mine.
    200 in my future if i got a new boat probably just for fuel economy.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    The 175 is a great motor. I've owned two Predators, one with the 175 and one with the 200. The 200 definately has more power on regular gas, but I was able to run premium gas and mixed av gas with the 175 and she would scream. The fuel consumption mentioned above is about right, I see between 2-5gph better on the 200 vs the 175. I did a similar hunt back to back with the different boats and brought back half the gas with the 200.

    I wouldn't hesitate to own another boat with the 175 Sport Jet, but I did upgrade for the power, fuel consumption and some of the other upgrades that they had done with the Predator. They also gave me a free 5 year warranty which is hard to beat.
    The Predator is the boat I want, can't decide between new and used. Everytime I talk to compeaus I get a different price on the boat. And yes that free 5 year extended warranty is very nice.

    2-5 GPH is a big difference in the course of a season, will it be enough difference to spend 10 grand more, I guess time will tell. Thanks for the replies

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    The Predator is the boat I want, can't decide between new and used. Everytime I talk to compeaus I get a different price on the boat. And yes that free 5 year extended warranty is very nice.

    2-5 GPH is a big difference in the course of a season, will it be enough difference to spend 10 grand more, I guess time will tell. Thanks for the replies
    I had too good of a deal to pass up. I looked at it as far as payments go. My payment went up about $40 a month and extended one year, and in exchange I got rid of a 2004 Predator with the 175 out of warranty and replaced it with a 2008 nearly fully loaded with a 5 year warranty. It was about $6500 more when it was all said and done. Also keep in mind that the 200 horse opti's are a bit quieter, and you can draw heat off them and put a heater in the cabin if you have a canopy. That's the only option I don't have on mine at this point.

    We do a walk by Compeau's about every other day and I see the same boats there all the time. I would try to dicker a little and see if they'll come down on that price a little for you.

    Other things to compare on the older style Predators is the throttle. On the 2004's, the throttle was down pretty low and you would have to bend down to get to it if you were standing and driving. They raised it up the next year I believe. Also, make sure to take a good hard look at the bottom if you are buying a used one. Bottom's run about 6 grand to replace at Karold's!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •