Thread: 40 S&W in a .45 acp

Default 40 S&W in a .45 acp

Son and I ran out to Birchwood tonight to do some shooting. Grabbed my S&W M&P .45 and some factory ammo that was laying around so we could entertain ourself as our rifle barrels cooled down.

After about 50 rounds through the .45 I heard a dull "pop". This alarmed me so I pulled back the slide and noticed the case was still stuck in the chamber. Luckily I always carry a .22 cleaning rod so I inserted the rod in the muzzle and popped out the case. What I found was a 40 S&W case. The bottom third of the case looked normal but the top 2/3rds expanded and split to fit the .45 chamber. To be honest I was shocked it even fired.

Have no idea where the .40 round came from. I do have a Glock .40 but it hadnt been to the range in years. Guess I will look a little closer when I am loading the magazines in the future. First time in my life I ever fired incorrect ammo in any weapon.

Might add I have run about 500 rounds thru this pistol in the last couple of months. All bullet weights, shapes and sizes. Not one failure to feed or eject until the .40 round. Super reliable pistol and very accurate to boot.
    Tennessee

Scary, but at least you are aware of it and know better. I had a buddy try and stuff a 300 WSM round into his 338 win mag because he wasn't paying attention... thank god the WSMs are so fat.

I'm surprised it fired at all..LOL.. I guess the cartridge mass was enough to allow the firing pin to hit hard enough.

I had to try it.. (no I didn't shoot one) I have a .45ACP and a 40 S&W here in the office.. (26 rounds of doom ) When I tried to chamber a .40 in the .45 it just slid down the barrel and out the other end. (my wife is looking at me funny while I do this..) I had to hold the gun pretty level to get it to stay in. It will chamber reliably though

Glad you are o.k.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm surprised it fired at all..LOL.. I guess the cartridge mass was enough to allow the firing pin to hit hard enough.

I had to try it.. (no I didn't shoot one) I have a .45ACP and a 40 S&W here in the office.. (26 rounds of doom ) When I tried to chamber a .40 in the .45 it just slid down the barrel and out the other end. (my wife is looking at me funny while I do this..) I had to hold the gun pretty level to get it to stay in. It will chamber reliably though

Glad you are o.k.
    I did the same thing this morning with my 10mm/45 change over EAA Witness. With the 45 slide on and the 10mm mag in it reliably chucked the whole 10mm round out the muzzle when the slide shut unless it was pointed way up. The EAAs 45 mag spits 10s right out the top, it would be hard to load one without knowing it since it jumps right out at your eyeball soon as ya take your thumb off.

It’s funny how stuff happens like that sometimes, probably one in ten thousand or more odds that it would fire it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A .40S&W stays right in my .45 mags... I can see how that happens.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am guesing the extractor held it in place when the firing pin hit it.
    Tennessee