Thread: Trail Cam Question

Question Trail Cam Question

Hey guys I was wondering what kinda trail cams you guys use? LIkes/Dislikes? How well do they do in cold weather (Winter)? I'm looking to get a cam for some baiting and maybe trapping next yr.

Trout--

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Smile

I have a Stealth Cam Prowler. I got it in late March, and put it up on a tree to make sure it works in spring temperatures. It seemed to work fine, and the batteries lasted 2-3 weeks. Cost was about $340 landed in Fairbanks.

I have 2 Gig SD cards, and depending on resolution, you will get thousands of pictures. It does color during day, and IR BW at night. It does video as well.

I have no complaints.

A lot of folks have Cuddy Back cameras, and they have posted pictures in the bowhunters side of this forum. I saw no problems with their photos. I think Cuddy's are a little less expensive.

Hope this helps.

Default Stealth Cam

I used a Stealth Cam. Worked great for me. Due to reasons beyond my control I could not bear hunt this year, so, I lent it to friends. They went into the stand and the strap a two brackets were all that was left. They surmise a bear "smacked" it and carried it away. We looked for it several times, to no avail.

Well the point to the story is: I have an auxillary battery pack for a stealth cam. I only used it in the spring 2008 season. It will quadruple what the six C cell batteries will do! It was $75.00 when it landed in Fairbanks. But now I have no camera. Anyone out there interested in a deal. Make me a fair offer and we should make it happen.

Smile Thanks

Hey Thanks for the info guys..this gives me some good places to start looking...really appreciate it.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Cuddeback 3.0

I have a cuddeback 3.0... and older model - now the cuddebacks have names (noflash, expert, etc.).

Anyway, takes compact flash cards, runs on D batteries, and last a couple weeks in warm weather with a few hundred pictures and videos.

Pretty happy with the reaction time. Very happy with the resolution of the pictures.
    Could be happier with battery life, this winter I may try to rig up a battery cell of 6 volts in an ammo can to extend the battery life - nothing worse than to check the camera after a week, and find the batteries croaked a day after your last bait check.

Got it at sportsmans back in 2002, paid a pretty penny for it, but imagine you can find the 3.0's on e-bay or the like for decent discounts.

Good luck!

Rob

Default Steath cam

I have a Steath cam bought this cam to get some pic of a black bear that was coming to get my neighbors trash on a nightly basics but when I got the cam he hasn't came back yet. I did learn I have a lot of people who walk thru my yard... Anyhow heres a pic off the cam a day and night I think its pretty clear pic for a cam. U be the judge
    Attached Images Attached Images

So if one was to get a new trail cam knowing that a bear could potentially rip it off of a tree, which one would you get. I don't want to spend more that a couple hundred bucks.
    Most of the reviews on Cabelas seem to be pretty negative for most cams. One particular cam is not jumping out at me. I just want good pics, time and day info and good battery life thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    So if one was to get a new trail cam knowing that a bear could potentially rip it off of a tree, which one would you get. I don't want to spend more that a couple hundred bucks.
    Most of the reviews on Cabelas seem to be pretty negative for most cams. One particular cam is not jumping out at me. I just want good pics, time and day info and good battery life thats it.
    Here's what I bought from Cabela's. About $80 on sale, reg $99.99.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0046650417898a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&Ntt=moultrie&Ntk=Products&sort= all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearc h-box.jsp.form1

over 450 reviews & it gets a 4 out of 5. How do you beat that for under $100??? I have to admit I haven't tried mine yet...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I got a "Timber Eye" and used it last summer. Really sensitive if the grass is blowing around it. ( defenitly need to mow the grass or it will take a pic. when the grass move's) ( bird's will set it off too)

Set up by the cabin, got a good pic. of a calf moose, a medium black bear walking away from the cabin, a couple of good shot's of a lynx, and 2 4-wheeler's that just had to check out the place, lol

It was 90 bucks.