Thread: 'Nuther "ALMOST" pistol

Default 'Nuther "ALMOST" pistol

Ever take a look at yer collection and see that almost all of the pieces there have got a blemish, a pimple, or one little thing that distracts from an otherwise neat little handgun?

Older Gent strides in today with a Crown Royal bag that definitely has something interesting in it. He sets it on the counter and wants to take a look at one of them Taurus 4510's. He pulls out a little German 'Schmeisser Patent' .25 ACP pistol, which wasn't very interesting, BUT the second was a first generation Colt Woodsman.

Of course, the Colt followed me home, and considering it's age, is in really, really good shape, except.......at some point in the little pistol's long life, the grips have been replaced with some really grotesque plastic or bakelite Colt grips for a third model.

So now I'm looking for the right grips, or perhaps the right piece of wood that'll yield a couple of scales for the thing that I can turn into something appealing. That, or let it sit next to the other projects in the cabinet that just need that 'one little thing' to make 'em right........

Oh boy! Been there, done that! At one time not to long ago I had a dozen guns that had accumulated that were bargain buys because they needed someone to show them a little love. I got most of their afflictions resolved and sent them on their way. For the most part I made out pretty well dollar wise too! I saved the best for last. It's one of them Remington Nylon 66's. I got it for 20 bucks and there is only one problem with it. Someone totally dimantled it and put all the guts in a freezer bag and threw the freezer bag along with the big parts into a box. Rumor has it they were cleaning it and got a little carried away.

I got a parts diagram on line and inventoried the contents of the box. I only see one spring that is missing and I would imagine it went zinging when this gun started coming appart. Gun Parts inc had a spring and now I got it!

I gotta admitt the diagram looks a tad bit worrysome! I am gonna have to be in the right frame of mind when I tackle this one or else it could get scattered all over the back yard! I ain't kiddin either...ask Mother! These guns were without a doubt designed by an over zealous gadget head that was born with a Tinker toy in his hand! The kind of guy that over analizes everything and simpler ain't never better! Danged egg head anyways!

Default Have fun with your 66

I talked with the head repair guy at Remington when he was giving my armorers cert class and he told me that up until the 1990's they would repair and reassemble the Nylons. Here's the funny part, they stopped service on them because the one old timer that knew how they went together retired. A friend of mine bought one the same way you got yours and we tinkered with the dang thing for probably 2 weeks every night after school trying to get it to work. One night, I dont know how, we got it together and imagine this the silly thing worked.
    After that nightmare we both made a pact as gunsmiths and gun guys that that one would go to the gun show and neither of us would ever own or voluntarily work on one of the little devils again.

Default Digging in the storeroom...

the other day and came across a bag-o-guts out of Remington's only lever action rifle! That's right, a complete set of parts for a Model 76. Don't know if the stock assembly was different between these and the 66's, but what's the chances of finding one of the scarcest Remington's made?
    I DID manage to finally get a Nylon 66 back together one time, and upon completion, took it down, traded it off, and swore that I'd never, ever, ever take one apart again!
    The whole Nylon series of rifles have quite a following. Several boards where lovers of these models hang out. They surely could walk a fella through reassembling one!
    One of these days, I'm going to get 'round to making a dismantling box. One with a plexiglass front and top, and holes where I can put my hands through when them little bitty plungers and springs try and put themselves into a sub-orbital trajectory!!!