Thread: Anyone else here playing with the 6.8mm SPC?

Default Anyone else here playing with the 6.8mm SPC?

I have been playing around with my Stag 6.8mm Ar platform for over a year now. Originally it was an interesting cartridge to load up. And I have been getting half inch groups with some handloads at 10 yards....

...But I am rapidly loosing interest not so much due to the cartridge but because I really do like care for the AR platform in any caliber.

I was thinking about selling the darn thing but I have a bunch of money sunk into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

1/2" at 10 Yards.......WOW. OK, what platform do you like gooooder.....? Other than being UGLY I like the AR-15 platform. Have you gone to a single stage trigger......????

Obviosly, I should have typed 100 yards. Not 10.

After I noticed the mistake, it was too late. I cannot go back and change it, since this particular web site won't let you do that.

I went to the A2 stock, replaced the factory recoil spring with a Tubbs flat wire spring, and modified the feed ramps to an M-4 style.
    I am using a 6 power Leupold. It still has a stock Stag trigger. Although a military type pull, it is OK. Some handloads are fairly good from this rifle. After buying dies and 1,000 rounds of SSA brass, my idea of going to a longer barrel ran out of steam.

I find that I prefer shooting accurate bolt actions much more than auto loaders.
    Maybe it was the 30 years of shooting ARs on a regular basis that burned me out.

I have not played with the 6.8 SPC. A while ago I did find a piece of brass at the range. My first thought was what a great balance of bullet diameter and powder capacity. I am surprised that I have not heard of bolt gun manufactured in this caliper. Velocities similar to the 7-30 waters but loaded with pointed bullets should make a great very efficient low recoil deer rifle with a 20" barrel. Looks like a great round I am sorry to see that it seems to be so tied to the AR platform as it would be useful in others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I am sorry to see that it seems to be so tied to the AR platform as it would be useful in others as well.
    Remington and others offer Bolt action rifles in 6.8 SPC.

The Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC has become my predator control firearm. Regardless of how many legs the varmint has........It is the Homestead Security System.

Default Ha Ha.... I like that!

Good one Hope!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    The Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC has become my predator control firearm. Regardless of how many legs the varmint has........It is the Homestead Security System.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have been playing around with my Stag 6.8mm Ar platform for over a year now. Originally it was an interesting cartridge to load up. And I have been getting half inch groups with some handloads at 10 yards....

...But I am rapidly loosing interest not so much due to the cartridge but because I really do like care for the AR platform in any caliber.

I was thinking about selling the darn thing but I have a bunch of money sunk into it.
    I'm sorry to hear that, I for one hope you dont give it up. I've dowloaded and saved all your charts and info and believe it will be invaluable for me when I finally get geared up to handload.

When I bought my first one, I thought it might be a fun deer gun but holy smokes it was heavy! I actually had plans of selling or trading it off, but then I had MSTN build me an ultralight one and it sure is fun to shoot! Its more accurate than I'm capable of shooting and light enough that I plan to carry it on some of the longer snowmobile trips this coming winter. I'd sure like to bag mr. wolf with it!

I have a custom built mini-mauser in 6.8 SPC that I have had for two or so years. It is one of my favorite cartirdges. I haven't done a tremendous amount of laoding for it yet as I have not been reloading that long. But I have had great success with it with Hornady factory loads. The 110 V-max is deadly on deer. I think this round has the potential to be a great one if people would give it a try.

I think a super light little bolt action rifle with a long chamber throat and a 20 inch barrel would be the way to go.

I am pushing 90 grain bullets to 2,900 fps, 110 grain bullets to 2,550 and 130 grain bullets to 2,350 with the 16 inch barrel (1 in 10 twist) on my Stag.
    The AR-15 action and magazine length restrict what you can do.

A 20 inch barrel should give at least 100 fps more for each load.

I have loaded some 150 grain bullets to 1,950 fps in the short barrels AR.
    From a 20-22in bolt gun you might be able to get 2,200.

I think this 6.8mm AR, dies and all the brass/bullets, will probably end up on the for-sale section as soon as I see something else that trips my trigger. Still can't decide if I will keep the scope for another rifle or not...

Default 6.8mm SPC

To answer your question, yes, I have played around with a 6.8mm SPC in a Remington M700 Tactical. It is extremely accurate with 130gr and 110gr bullets. I use SSA brass, AA2230, sierra PH 130gr, Hornady 110gr V-Max. The rifle is light and very easy to handle. This is a wonderful round!