Thread: Dora peak

Default Dora peak

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could recommend a route to take to get to the summit of Dora peak which is east of Healy. I've tried twice now, once down by the old tipple and then today I hiked up Healy creek and then took moody creek to get on the ridge that leads up to Dora. The problem is that these areas are so unbelievably brushy that it's just very slow hiking. Maybe some of the sheep hunters could recommend a way up?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone could recommend a route to take to get to the summit of Dora peak which is east of Healy. I've tried twice now, once down by the old tipple and then today I hiked up Healy creek and then took moody creek to get on the ridge that leads up to Dora. The problem is that these areas are so unbelievably brushy that it's just very slow hiking. Maybe some of the sheep hunters could recommend a way up?

Thanks in advance.
    I have hiked in that area. Dora Peak is a nice little peak to climb. She's a beauty.

My suggestion is that you take one of the drainages into the Peak. The best one would probably be the first drainage off the Usibelli Coal area. It's on the right and if you take a topo map, you can definitely locate the creek.

I found it for you. It's called Moody Creek. It will be the first creek on the right. Good side is that it has a more direct route, but the downside is that it's a steeper climb. I don't know if you want to do this one.
    The other drainage is called Dora Creek. It's smaller, but it looks like the climb in is less steep.

One thing about this mountain when you are climbing it is that there is a good amount of shale rock and scree. You may not have a whole lot of hand holds or foot holds. When climbing in this area, it's probably a good idea to have your ropes, harnesses, and your belay devices along with multiple caribiners if you plan on doing the climb from the West Face. (on the Moody Creek side)

Why have you chosen Dora Peak?

Here is your amazing beauty of a mountain on the left:

Good riddens climbing.
    Let us know how it goes!
    Lurker.