Thread: Silvers Down By Latouche and South Knight?

Default Silvers Down By Latouche and South Knight?

Think I'm going to head down to South Knight and perhaps Latouche Passage and try to catch some halibut and a ling cod or two if the weather cooperates this weekend through Monday. The farthest I've been this year or ever for that matter is Lower Herring Bay on Knight Island.

While our main target is going to be halibut I was wondering if we should expect to see many silvers in the area at this time of year? With minimal time put in on our last trip we did pick up a couple silvers on the northern end of Knight three weeks ago.

The terrain between Latouche and Elrington seems shallower that I'm used to in the rest of PWS. Is it typically better suited to drifting while jigging for halibut or anchoring up and creating a scent trail and soaking bait or jigging?

Thanks for any information.

AkGunner

The terrain between Latouche and Elrington seems shallower that I'm used to in the rest of PWS. Is it typically better suited to drifting while jigging for halibut or anchoring up and creating a scent trail and soaking bait or jigging?

Thanks for any information.

AkGunner[/QUOTE]

You can do either in that area. I'm not sure what the tides are this week, but I've always done better during a big minus tide. I like to anchor toward the south side of that area and I've also done really well on the north side drift and jigging. I wouldn't be surprised if you pick a few shiny fish in there, but may do better out front. Don't know if that helped..... good luck

We fished the area last weekend with no halibut but got into some pinks and had a shark take one of our pinks while bringing it in....that was cool for a few seconds. We were on a poor/slow tide...it was like slack all day and almost flat glass water all the way to Montague. I tried fishing from 45'-600' with no action at all. We hit Knight, Montague, Lone, Perry, Culross and then some but only picked up a couple small rockfish and a couple pinks. Tried all kinds of cool new jigs, some old standby jigs, with and without bait on `em, and just a couple bait rigs down all the time with cod and herring. Not sure what happened but I won`t likely burn that much cash on gas again out of Whittier. Pretty place but fishing seems to be on a steady decline from the good `ole days before the oil spill and tunnel traffic. Given another day on the water we probably would have nailed down at least one more productive spot but not impressed over the last few years.

On a side note...

If your boat doesn`t run or you lose your keys or whatever, be courteous and go get your truck and get your boat out of the water and away from the launch/departure docks so prepared people can leave/launch...spent an hour getting out due to the clowns down there....had to physically pull boats back and forth to make it possible to get out. Rant over....sorry for getting a bit off topic. I blame it on the cheap coffee @ work.

We did see jumper silvers @ Montague and Perry but couldn`t get through the pinks to them.

I'd fish closer to the granite bay hatchery
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.