Thread: Who Makes This Hand Primer?

Default Who Makes This Hand Primer?

This was originally my Grandfathers and I still load 30 cal with it. I believe it is late 50's or 60's. I would like to get some other shell holders because you can feel the primer seating. There are not any markings on it at all. I thought it was a Herters but looking through there old catalogs I am pretty sure it is not. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Primer 4.JPG   Hand Primer 3.jpg  

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Case.

You really need to sharpen it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Lee

I think Lee made in back in the 60's. I had one at one time- may still have it around somewhere. It had the typical Lee look of cast potmetal - but like the rest of the Lee stuff it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoomxzx View Post
    This was originally my Grandfathers and I still load 30 cal with it. I believe it is late 50's or 60's. I would like to get some other shell holders because you can feel the primer seating. There are not any markings on it at all. I thought it was a Herters but looking through there old catalogs I am pretty sure it is not. Any ideas?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I had one many years back but canít remember for sure if it was Lee or RCBS. Soon as I discovered the Lee Autoprime it got lost.

tvfink says Lee and I kind of lean that way myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Your grandfathers!? I still have one of those and I believe it was designed by Lachmiller but sold by RCBS. RCBS modified it to accept standard shell holders. Mine has the screw in holders like yours. I have primed a lot of cases with one of those. I bought the first one in 1965 with a set of dies from RCBS for a defunct caliber, the 244 Remington. I couldn't buy ammo for the 244 so I made my own. Boy was I dumb. It does allow good feel when seating and I have seen them used by the bench shooters at the range when loading for BR comp.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default It is RCBS

I still have mine and it is a screw in type. Never use it anymore, the Lee Auto-Prime replacing it.

Default Hand Primer

Spend the 20 or 25 dollars and buy a new one. It will hold the primers in a tray so you really do not have to touch them and then have the potential to contaminate the primers.
    Some of that old technology was great, back in the old days. The modern stuff works better in most cases. And you can "feel" when the primer seats. Put that old piece on ebay, reap what you can, and get a new one!

I believe it was designed by Lachmiller but sold by RCBS
    The man is correct.

Default Thanks

I appreciate the reply's to the brand name. Now that I know what I am looking for I may keep an eye out for shell holders.

I have and use a Lee Auto prime. I don't want to sell it, I want to use it for certain times and places. I happen to like to hand load while in camp for the night. If we all did things the same way what fun would that be. I guess my Herter's turrret press is no good either.

Default Primeing tool

It's a Lee Hand Priming Tool. No longer made and to my knowledge the shell holders are no longer made either. You might try eBay or Cast Boolits wed site. Keep tring you will find what you want eventually.

Default Lee made it.

I finally found it in the 7th Edition of the Handloader Digest (from 1975?) The list cost was $2.95 with extra shellholders priced at $1.89.

Quote Originally Posted by chris112 View Post
    It's a Lee Hand Priming Tool. No longer made and to my knowledge the shell holders are no longer made either. You might try eBay or Cast Boolits wed site. Keep tring you will find what you want eventually.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default 244?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Your grandfathers!? I still have one of those and I believe it was designed by Lachmiller but sold by RCBS. RCBS modified it to accept standard shell holders. Mine has the screw in holders like yours. I have primed a lot of cases with one of those. I bought the first one in 1965 with a set of dies from RCBS for a defunct caliber, the 244 Remington. I couldn't buy ammo for the 244 so I made my own. Boy was I dumb. It does allow good feel when seating and I have seen them used by the bench shooters at the range when loading for BR comp.
    Hope you hung on to the 244. Remington only labelled them that way for 2 years then changed the name to 6mm Remington. If you find one marked 6mm Remington Magnum those were only a few hundred.