Thread: questions on rc860 hunt.

Default questions on rc860 hunt.

I have never been to the chicken ridge before and i am planing on going this year any pointers?? Also what is the weather like there this time 0f year?? Has anyone heard on how far out the bou are????? thanks

Josh

Default Word from horses mouth

the hunt will probably be over SUPER fast and the weather will be in the 80's to 90's. I can already smell some sour meat! Best of luck to those on Chicken Ridge. Wear your flak jackets and make sure you have your hunter orange on.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    the hunt will probably be over SUPER fast and the weather will be in the 80's to 90's. I can already smell some sour meat! Best of luck to those on Chicken Ridge. Wear your flak jackets and make sure you have your hunter orange on.

OH plus one on the flak jackets... it is only a matter of time before some one gets a slug!!! same as the winter steece hunt ...

you will bear witness to some incredibly stupid acts to secure meat....

get in line go like hell, at the sound of the bell....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default bou

there are no more caribou up there, and they will not come back ever!!! they went to pt. hope to take out their aggression on their fallen comrades. so if i were you i would not even go up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    OH plus one on the flak jackets... it is only a matter of time before some one gets a slug!!! same as the winter steece hunt ...

you will bear witness to some incredibly stupid acts to secure meat....

get in line go like hell, at the sound of the bell....

I have done that hunt quite a few years in a row and i am going back this year. I agree that its only a matter of time, saw a guy shoot across a valley over a ridge to drive two bous back down into the valley, it worked and he took a large bull, but man that was the dumbest move i have ever seen. My pops and i just park the wheelers and break out the shoe leather express and we have found that we get away from a large part of the crowd that way.

call caribou hotline for the latest info 267-2310. I've been there last year it's a zoo. I hope this year critters start crossing early, last year was a bust. Good times though.

Default Like I said,

it could be a "quickie" so make sure you are the first out there and flame away! I live in Tok and simply refuse to partake in that madness. I know there are some areas I could get to but sheep season gets in the way and the caribou season is usually over once I am back! Oh, well, wait for the winter subsistence season where it is safe.

Wink

Lots of options, other than wheelers on the ridge. Lots of guys take them by boat off the West Fork of the Dennison River. You can also easily take them in the willow flats along side the road. I have never been up there, when you couldn't stop when you got some good vantage point and glass and find them. They will congregate in good sized groups at times. When they are in the Willows, sometimes all you see are Antlers. Going up the Forty Mile River, to the Kink is also a good bet, if you have a boat. Lots of bou, grizz and moose up there. If you have a raft, just float from Chicken down the fork to the main river and take out at the road going to Eagle. Easy float, lots of critters to shoot.

YAHOO
    You Always Have Other Options
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Fire.

So does any one know how all these fires are affecting things?

Default The Invasion of Chicken Ridge Has Started!

There was a handful of vehicles all loaded up with 4 whlrs & stuff heading up last night. But this morning I've counted about 20 outfits before 10 coming through Tok. I imagine by tonight there will be lots more... and the hunt doesn't open until monday!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by John/Alaska View Post
    There was a handful of vehicles all loaded up with 4 whlrs & stuff heading up last night. But this morning I've counted about 20 outfits before 10 coming through Tok. I imagine by tonight there will be lots more... and the hunt doesn't open until monday!

good luck John, keep your head down...

i was driving along Donley dome in 03... and happened to be opening day of bou season there...

my surburban... took stray round. dead center of the wind shield... just enough to pop all the glass of the plastic film abut the size of a coffee cup.... troopers said the bullet was NEARLY stopped when it hit me... but would have / could have killed whom ever was behind it if i had been a few more hundred yards down the road... ...

i was on my way to pick up my kids from Ex in paxton....my daughter WOULD have been sitting there on the way home.....

the smoke is going to make targets harder to see and identify....

i would rather folks go with out meat then have to spend the rest of you life dealing with the fact you killed some one... because of something so stupid as not looking...or knowing where that bullet went.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I'm Not Going Up There!!

Nope I'm with northway. I'll hunt it later in november/decmber when its safe! The guy that was the game cop here several years back had to bail off his 4 whlr while patrolling the ridge after shots came whisling by. He had to discharge his firearm to get the two guys to stop shooting at him! They told him that they thought he was a caribou even though he was on a 4 wlr & wearing a bright vest!! He was not a happy camper to say the least and was still upset a couple of weeks later when we talked about it!!!

I do hunt that area every year but no way am I'm going up there next week! Out of self preservation I'm planning on hunting another herd this next week if the smoke clears.