Thread: Cheap Training Bullet 375H&H

Default Cheap Training Bullet 375H&H

Whats the cheapest bullet for the 375H&H?.Im looking for a good training bullet

Thanks

This one is terrific and they don't come any cheaper.

I was thinking off a over the counter bullet,i dont have the possibility to mold bullets myself...

Mmmm. You'll still save lots getting them from a cast bullet source. There are two or three in Alaska, I believe one in Delta and another in Homer. They've been discussed here.

If you still feel the need for jacketed, dig a whole lot deeper in your pocket and try one of the bulk sellers like Midway. I checked and thye don't have any jacketed bulk right now, but they have this great bullet for $40/500. Even with shipping that will work out to about 20% the cost of buying jacketed bullets locally.

Default Hornady and Speer...

Hornady makes a 220 gr. flat point bullet made expressly for the .38-55/.375 Winchester that also makes a great reduced load in the H&H. Hornady's manual lists reduced load data for that one AND their 220 gr. spire point. The flat point loaded UP to around 2800 fps makes an outstanding varmint load, especially for oversized varmints...The beauty of the 220 Hornady flat point is that they come packaged 100 to the box, and are not that far out of line with similar weight bullets in other calibers, at least around here.
    The Speer 235 can be loaded down, or up to make a 270 on massive steroids. They come boxed 50 to the box, but are priced accordingly.
    I've used the 235 Speer on game, big mulies, and Wyoming pronghorns, makes critters this size and tenacity very dead, very fast, and shoots to about the same trajectory as a 180 out of an '06 to around 500 yards or so...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=727126
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=362131
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=184288

BTW-

Load 16 grains of Unique behind that 250 grain cast bullet for around 1400 fps, and it will instantly become your favorite small game rig. It's more fun for plinking than any 22 you ever shot, too. And that's the point. With loads like that you will get out shooting a whole lot more.

That's a small charge of powder for such a big case, but I don't bother with fillers. I simply point the barrel up briefly before shooting so the powder all settles back by the primer. I've chrono'ed these loads and doing that makes them surprisingly consistent without the hassle of case fillers.

Thanks Darreld! Hornady sounds like a good choice...