Thread: Fall black bears on the Kenai?

Default Fall black bears on the Kenai?

Couple of questions for the black bear hunters out there. I’m looking to do a trip to the Kenai either the last week of August or the Third week of September. I’ll either be in the hills above Palmer creek or resurrection creek.

• If I were wanting to do some spot and stalk hunting on bears in berry patches, would there be plenty of berries in the last week of August?
    • If I went the third week of September, would it be too late in the season?
    • How much snow should I expect in late September if I’m hunting between 2500 and 3500 feet? In other words, would avalanches be a risk this early or can I expect a few inches here and there that melts the next day?
    • How is the meat in late August or late September keeping in mind that I plan to be on the Kenai. Are most Kenai bears pretty fishy or could I expect decent meat if I am hunting in the mountains?
    • In a good hunting area, what should I expect as far as berries. I did scout the Palmer creek area earlier this year and I did see some berry bushes, but they were scattered pretty sparsely. There was a good patch of them every mile or so, but not every several hundred yards like I was hoping for. If I went to resurrection creek, could I expect significantly better results?

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Couple of questions for the black bear hunters out there. Iím looking to do a trip to the Kenai either the last week of August or the Third week of September. Iíll either be in the hills above Palmer creek or resurrection creek.

• If I were wanting to do some spot and stalk hunting on bears in berry patches, would there be plenty of berries in the last week of August?
    • If I went the third week of September, would it be too late in the season?
    • How much snow should I expect in late September if Iím hunting between 2500 and 3500 feet? In other words, would avalanches be a risk this early or can I expect a few inches here and there that melts the next day?
    • How is the meat in late August or late September keeping in mind that I plan to be on the Kenai. Are most Kenai bears pretty fishy or could I expect decent meat if I am hunting in the mountains?
    • In a good hunting area, what should I expect as far as berries. I did scout the Palmer creek area earlier this year and I did see some berry bushes, but they were scattered pretty sparsely. There was a good patch of them every mile or so, but not every several hundred yards like I was hoping for. If I went to resurrection creek, could I expect significantly better results?
    Berries are very ripe right now I don't know what that means for september but I would imagine critters are enjoying fresh blue berries as I type

As far as Avalanche danger you are probably fine, but early season can be very dangerous if there is a heavy snowfall however the first heavy snowfall is usually not until mid october
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default September

Last week in September or first week in October is great for seeing bears. They will be at the tops so you need to get up high to get them.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Thumbs up Aim High...

WIsam,
    Aim High for those fall black bears. I mean glass high. Bears will be eating berries until they hibernate. While goat hunting in late Sept on the Kenai Pen, I have always observed black bears eating berries, often at higher elevations than the mountain goats. Keep in mind that late Sept goats are usually quite close to the upper alder brush line. There might be bears in the alders also, but you can't see em very well. A nice fat bear, rolling down the "goat-slopes" can hit near-terminal velocity surprisingly quick. They will stop rolling after crashing into the alder brush.

Snow should not inhibit your hunt...but we are in AK and ya never know. The ground will be frozen on the cool slopes where the sun don't shine starting in very late Sept. I, for one, do not enjoy hunting on steep angle frozen ground for long periods of time. So while I would avoid the super steep areas, you should find plenty of great areas and some black bears to whack-out.

Dennis

Yeah I'm not going black bear hunting on the Kenai until after moose season is closed. So 3rd week of Sept. should be fine.

Default October

October 1st '08 on the Kenai

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default More

Thanks for the help!! Those pictures have me excited! Two more questions, How's the meat on fall kenai black bears? Are most of them pretty good eating or are they pretty fishy?

Also, what should I expect as far as berries in a good area. I scouted the hills above palmer creek, but the area I was at was pretty sparse as far as bushes. There may have been a patch of berry bushes every 1/4 mile or so. Should I find another spot or is that pretty typical.

Default Berries

Most of the berries up there grow really close to the ground. Wouldn't even know they're there until you get up there. Some areas are carpeted with them up around 3000ft.