Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Borough funds to help Point Hope defendants

Default Borough funds to help Point Hope defendants

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

This will be interesting to hear public comments on this..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sounds like Itta is taking pressure in regards to his position as major.

"It is a direct attack upon subsistence hunting rights in Alaska," said Anchorage defense attorney Jon Buchholdt, who is representing one of the defendants, Aqquilluk Hank. It's "an attempt to criminalize subsistence hunting by applying trophy hunting laws to subsistence hunting and to attack the integrity of Point Hope and the subsistence hunters there, suggesting that by leaving sick caribou on the ground they are somehow guilty of wanton waste. Absolute crap.

......The misdemeanor charges accuse the eight men, who were travelling in two groups, of indiscriminately gunning down caribou as they came across them on the Arctic tundra near Point Hope, an Inupiat Eskimo community of 700, over the Fourth of July weekend in 2008.

...More than 100 caribou were killed at 25 sites "

Sorry but this is clearly not the case to defend subsistence hunting right...this was WAY out of bounds of subsistence hunting.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking Honestly Now?

Honestly now, did anyone expect anything less than this response? It was predictable and speaks volumes of the "Elder's" intent and thought process'. A lot of posters came on this board and asked to wait and see, let it play out, let the LE do their job, let the prosecutor's do their job, etc etc etc, ad nauseum. The state will be the one to get a Black Eye out of the whole sordid affair. The libs control the court system and they will get the last word, bottom line. The low guy on the totem pole got stuck with trying to prosecute the cases in "POINT HOPE". He is on his way out of being a prosecutor and was "picked" by his superiors to be the sacrificial lamb. That's how it works. The "hunters" will wind up being labeled "victims" and will end up being local folk heros. The younger hunters among us, need to pay close attention on how the system works, so they can use it to their advantage. It is interesting and downright funny that so many have been duped, for so long.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

...More than 100 caribou were killed at 25 sites "
    Sorry but this is clearly not the case to defend subsistence hunting right...this was WAY out of bounds of subsistence hunting.
    Are you disputing the "Elders"? How dare you.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I've lived in rural AK, I've traveled to several "less than fun" places for work...the mentality is definately dand some feel they are entitled to an "untouchable" sort of existence simply because of who they are. Native Corp or not, the penalty should stick, nor is anyone entitled to that sort of life.

Any suspicions if the Native Corp picked up the $56 k bill?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default not sure

how anyone will be able to comment on this thread without being accused of "native bashing".
    As with most other cases of "racial discrimination", the worst cases are usually brought forth by those that feel they are being discriminated against over exercising the "rights" they have been "granted" by politicians.
    JMO
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    how anyone will be able to comment on this thread without being accused of "native bashing".
    As with most other cases of "racial discrimination", the worst cases are usually brought forth by those that feel they are being discriminated against over exercising the "rights" they have been "granted" by politicians.
    JMO
    Gary
    Discussion based on the article can be very productive....

"An ensuing investigation documented some of the men telling a government informant or troopers themselves that the caribou were left on the tundra because of suspected disease, problems transporting them home or, in one case, because they "shot it too much," the charges say"

Those charges would stick no matter who you are, nor would any man with common sense try and defend himself, or better yet seek out repayment for charges or have them dropped.

"So I shot a moose in Denali..big deal? If you take my argo I will sue you". . Sound right?

Default "Unbelievable doesn't even come close!"

A local borough paying for private criminal defense attorney's is beyond unbelievable. What is even more bizarre is the ADN story says this was authorized by the borough mayor (Itta), yet Itta said he wasn't personally aware of the letter authorizing payment for private defense attorney's by the borough...the letter was signed by an "acting mayor."

Huh?

I know these things take time. And now the case is going to court as it should. I'm fine with all that...let the defendents have their day in court and let the state produce the evidence it has. What I am not fine with at all is a borough paying for the private attorneys for the defendents. I can't see how that can even be legal. I'm not sure what Itta and others are thinking either; surely they realize how that will be viewed and how much it will further cause a divide.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'm not sure what Itta and others are thinking either; surely they realize how that will be viewed and how much it will further cause a divide.
    As long as the divide puts Itta on the right side

Default I don't care to

rip the issue anymore, but having the borough foot the bill is total BS. Simply bad all the way around.

A local borough paying for private criminal defense attorney's is beyond unbelievable. What is even more bizarre is the ADN story says this was authorized by the borough mayor (Itta), yet Itta said he wasn't personally aware of the letter authorizing payment for private defense attorney's by the borough...the letter was signed by an "acting mayor."

Huh?

I know these things take time. And now the case is going to court as it should. I'm fine with all that...let the defendents have their day in court and let the state produce the evidence it has. What I am not fine with at all is a borough paying for the private attorneys for the defendents. I can't see how that can even be legal. I'm not sure what Itta and others are thinking either; surely they realize how that will be viewed and how much it will further cause a divide.
    ................+1

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    rip the issue anymore, but having the borough foot the bill is total BS. Simply bad all the way around.
    I agree on on the basis that it's foolish to beat up whats already been discussed, and rather stick to the here and now of the subject.

Thumbs down wow

I would expect a legal challenge to the borough mayor funneling public money to private citizens.

If they can't afford legal representation, that's why there is a public defenders office.

Huh?

+2

Bushrat has it. Let the courts do what they will, but there is no way the borough can legally pay for the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I would expect a legal challenge to the borough mayor funneling public money to private citizens.

If they can't afford legal representation, that's why there is a public defenders office.
    My feelings exactly.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Goverment paying to defend someone at trial is as old as our judicial system,think about it.It may well be true that a 150 years ago the native left sick amimals they had taken but it is also true if hungry they would eat from a whale that had been dead on the beach for a month. The problem with old ways and new times is the gun. In the old days a small group may get a dozen bou in one day if very good hunters. Now days a ten year old kid can take a hunderd with the right gun and enough bullets.As we fight for the right to hunt with whatever gun we want the Native American also has that right and hence the clash of old culture and new means. I read the stories of the old hunters that came up here in the late 1800's and they were lucky if they recovered half of what they shot. Still today we have hunters that shoot bear and don't recover them and goats and sheep that fall to places the hunter can't recover them from. I am 100% against waste of game in any form includeing shooting wolf and bear from the air and not recovering the hides. What we have here for sure is a clash between old and new keeping what fits and throwing out what dosen't. A Nation with-in a Nation or a Nation on its own hook.Are Native Americans as seperat in their own rule as say Puerto Rico. Solveing this will take much more than just finger pointing,the whole picture must be looked at. Remember what we are is where we were when. JMHO

Clearly a case of mistaken identities!!

"Bucholdt said a group of YOUTHS from Point Hope was responsible for the SLAUGHTER that took place, not the group of HUNTERS now facing charges"

Thats it, blame some 'kids', who knows maybe Point Hope has an uncontrollable gang problem, and the Elders are afraid to point them out.

Sure as hell wouldn't want the 'Caribou crips' after me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

I agree with you and bushrat.

That would be like the Mat-Su Borough giving me money to defend myself in court. It just doesn't make sense.

Is this illegal for a local borough government to do? I wonder if someone will challege this.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

By actually paying for private defense, this would seem to make the case, State v. Bourough. Something seems wrong with that.
    I hope the state will investigate the legality of the borough paying for this. I also hope citizens within the borough will raise a stink. Imagine the borough paying for private attorney's for ALL accused.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast