Thread: Moving from Maine

Default Moving from Maine

In the spring, April, I'll be heading from Maine to relocate in Alaska. Here's the question, I'm a licensed bowhunter in Maine, do I need to take a bow hunting certification course in Alaska, or does Alaska recognise my Maine license, ie. reciprocity?

Check with Fish and game but if I remember right Alaska does accept other state certifications. I have a Maryland basic hunting education card and Alaska accepts it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I think so

I just called on this recently to ask the same question. As long as it is an IBEP or NBEF certification you should be good. I have had both basic hunter safety through Utah and NBEF bowhunter certification through South Dakota and they accept both of those.

You should be ok

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    In the spring, April, I'll be heading from Maine to relocate in Alaska. Here's the question, I'm a licensed bowhunter in Maine, do I need to take a bow hunting certification course in Alaska, or does Alaska recognise my Maine license, ie. reciprocity?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Even though it is accepted given the provisions above, you'll probably want to stop by the F&G offices when you get here and pick up an Alaska card. That'll make it easier to apply for limited draw archery permits, as they'll have your name and cert. # on record.

By the way, nice time of year to move up. Spring will just be starting, the fish will be on their way, and the daylight getting long. You're going to love it!

-Brian

basically the card must be state certified or a ibep nbef equivalent. If the state of Maine accepts it, then yes AK will also.

Atleast that is how it used to be told to us instructors. Times have changed over the past few years and I've chosen not to teach anymore for personal reasons. You'll have to take the class and shooting portion in order to get the card which is peanuts and crackers on super bowl sunday for most people!