Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not wanton waste

Default Not wanton waste

My dad told me that I can shoot caribou and if I think its sick I can leave it on the tundra. I can take the head though, because I believe it respects the animal. I can also blame the white man for the toxins (red dog mine) in the many caribou I shot and left on the tundra. This is the defense of some Point Hope subsistence hunters. I wonder if a white boy from the suburbs(Eagle River) could use this defense? My name is chuck and I wrote this message.
    Flame On mother#$%^er

I'm a 100% sure you could use it.

I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

No you can't use that defense. That's reserved for those that call the Earth their Mother...and respect the land...and can put on a show for TV cameras...and are victims of the white man, even if they were Russian (I wonder if they ever thought where they'd be if Russia never sold Alaska?). Out comes the "generations of tradition" talk again...and the press will eat it up.
    You can bet your last dollar they won't be found guilty. They made it a racial issue and they'll end up victims. And if you think it's an isolated incident...think again. The support of the town and the indian community is evidence of that. Man would I love to get in front of a TV camera and tell what I've seen in the villages....but that would be racism. Even if it is fact.

My question is, without sophisticated lab equipment, how do you measure toxins or radioactivity in caribou meat? Can you just look at it and know? From the pictures published of some of the caribou that were left on the tundra, it doesn't appear there was any effort to butcher the animal to look at the organs.
    They have pulled out the "I was taught this way and I shouldn't have to obey the laws that everybody else that hunts in Alaska has to because I' special (native)." Its too bad. I have had only one experience with native subsistance hunting and I really admired the amount of meat they got off the caribou they had harvested.

Oh boy, this is going to be a good thread.....

It will get locked up before it gets interesting.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cbalzar View Post
    My dad told me that I can shoot caribou and if I think its sick I can leave it on the tundra. I can take the head though, because I believe it respects the animal. I can also blame the white man for the toxins (red dog mine) in the many caribou I shot and left on the tundra. This is the defense of some Point Hope subsistence hunters. I wonder if a white boy from the suburbs(Eagle River) could use this defense? My name is chuck and I wrote this message.
    Flame On mother#$%^er
    Yes, yes you can. And I hope every youngster reading this, gets the message loud and clear. Matter of fact, you can shoot a 100 or more of them, if they all appear to be sick. Call it culling the herd, like the wolves do. Just shoot the ones you think are sick and you are "Golden Boy".
    It is the most important thing one can do, to "educate" the young into the ways of the "Elders".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Pretty cavalier and brazen position for the Point Hope folks to take. They should be ashamed of themselves for playing that card. Pretty sad state of affairs when the borough will spend public money to defend such behavior that would put any of the rest of us in prison.

OK cities pay for public defenders in city court,Borough the same and state the same and the feds the same. We have always paid to defend poor rapist, murderers, drug dealers ect. Next time a poor white man goes to trial in your small town and has a public defender ask who pays him,your town does.

There's definately cause for discussion, but this isn't it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Wooses in Pt. Hope!

The defense is laughable. Do the residents of Pt. Hope expect us to buy that crap....freaking unbelievable.
    Man up and take accountability for your actions!!
    BK

I don't think it really matters what we think or say it is not going to change what ends up happening to the accused. The result of the trial if you can call it that is a foregone conclusion given where the jury is coming from!!!! Come on, this is worse than a joke - when they are found not guilty they will all be able to say they are innocent because the court said they were.....and then keep on doing the same thing they always have because the laws on the books "don't apply to them" as NATIVE subsistence killers - I mean "hunters" - because their Elders taught them to hunt this way - rubbish!!! I suspect that the trial - if one can call it that - may produce more problems than it solves.....whether they are found innocent or guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    OK cities pay for public defenders in city court,Borough the same and state the same and the feds the same. We have always paid to defend poor rapist, murderers, drug dealers ect. Next time a poor white man goes to trial in your small town and has a public defender ask who pays him,your town does.
    Wake up, our society only offers to defend the accused if they can't afford it to insure they get a fair trial. We don't have a mayor take up a collection and send out the funds telling them how each much has to spend on attorney fees to protect them from wanton waste charges under the guise that they don't want to be told how to practice their ancestral subsistance rights by sport hunters. The whole thing is an unethical joke. Diseased caribou, yeah right. And btw, I didn't say anything about race. I'm guessing you aren't white.

Default Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    That is true, but these are NOT public defenders being paid for by the government. It is not the same thing. Let them have a public defender if they need it, but don't go giving them a big check to help them pay for their private lawyer.

Im curious, where is the trial going to be held at?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I suspect that the trial - if one can call it that - may produce more problems than it solves.....whether they are found innocent or guilty.
    I am surprised that there wasn't a plea deal in this and if there was I wonder how much the prosecutors were going to let slide?

I am also surprised to see this go to court. If this goes as most suspect, it will be in legal documents *if not already in the files somewhere* what kind of fear this state government and legal system have of the race issue.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

The North Slope Borough out of Barrow is the one making the $$ offer. They are Point Hopes "Hub" town for most services.

They are being tried in our hub, Kotzebue, in the Northwest Arctic Bourough, by Judge R.Erlich. He is not known to be leinet. I bet he makes examples out of this.

Every one Ive talked this over with in Kotz and around Sound the are way pi$$ed off about their doings, it is a shame. Whats worse is that these creeps would try to call this Subsistance hunting.
    Taking the headgear and wasting the meat is $*%@! hunting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I hope your right on this one Stranger...

Just look at this crap... LOL she gets 20 days!

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/aug/0...drive-sentenc/

If the judge that gave her 20 days for her actions was the judge for the wanton-waste case... the defendants would be sentenced to providing hunters education courses...focusing on ethics.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I wouldn't be surprised if charges are brought...

against any officials that authorized public funds to pay for private attorneys. These guys are in deep now for sure. I'm personally not shocked at how deep the problem of poaching goes in these communities, but I didn't expect the local government to go this far to cover it up. WOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast