Thread: gunsmith training

Default gunsmith training

Hello all,
    I've been on here for a while and I usually just lurk around and read and try to soak up as much info from all of you as I can. I have been thinking lately though of taking some training as a gunsmith more or less just to work on my own guns but maybe someday to open a part time shop. I work 40-50 hours a week at my day job so time and travel for training is limited. I have been looking into doing a distance learning course from an online school but have seen some bad reviews of this method. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all for your time,
    Brian

Hands on and some books is the only way to go to realy learn.If you have a gun repair shop in your area offer to clean guns just for the experance.The more you feel OK about takeing any gun apart and putting it back together the better off you are.Learn the function of design,Marlin and Winchester L/A's are a good start. Get good tools and read a couple books like gunsmith kinks series. Don't be affraid to look inside as the worst that can happen is someone else will but your box of parts back together.

There are some excellent correspondence schools. On the other hand, we usually hire our gunsmiths out of the Murray State College program. You should contact them to see what they say

This is where I went years ago, great program, one of the best any place and in a hotbed of guns. If you truly want to be a smith for a living you would be hard pressed to do better.

http://www.yc.edu/webtools/apps/academics/?dept=GST
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona