Thread: Dry Flies

The Valley,Alaska

Default Dry Flies

Is anybody going to use dry flies that float on the top of the water this fall???

I talked to a lot of people and they hardly ever use dry flies.

I cant wait for the fall to come for some more trout fishing, especially at the lakes.

soon to be back in Alaska

Only if I am fishing for grayling. Most of the rainbows and dollies will be keyed in on eggs and flesh.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Rifle River MI

Default Standard stuff

Funny thing is trout do take dry's even when there is an egg drop however it does not tend to be the most effective method of fishing if you know what I mean that is during the egg drop.

Lake stuff stick with your Midge, Caddis and May Fly type patterns on the surface.

Griffith Gnat size 12-18 you will notice in the fall the fish are near the shoar after the lake flips i.e. cooler water closer to the edge of the lake.

Coachman Trude size 10-16

Mid Thorax style May Flies size 12-14 couple of colors it is an adaptation of an old Fran Betters pattern called a Haystack been around for years works well in olive, sulpher and slate grey.

I am sure others have additional options hope they chime in. I like to stick to standard attractor patterns seems much more enjoyable to fish a couple of tried and true patterns.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Peters Creek, Ak

Default Mosquito

early morning is always a good times for top water...match the hatch if one is firing off. It always worth givin' top water a shot

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Eagle River/ Juneau

I rose at least 50 rainbows this summer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.