Thread: Inflatable cleaning

Default Inflatable cleaning

I just bought a new zodiac as a dingy for my ocean boat. When I took it out this weekend for a little trout fishing, not more than 3 hours in the water, and the darn thing already has stains that won't scrub out. Any suggestions for a protectant that will keep it easier to clean? thanks.

I am not aware of any protective coatings other than 303. and 303 does not really add much as far as clean ability.

Not sure what you are using to clean the Zodiac, but try some citric-sol. Not sure if that is the actual name brand. But it is a VERY strong concentrate (almost an oil) citric cleaner I get @ the healthfood store @ the end of the university mall. This stuff is "all natural", but make no mistake, it is an extremely stong and effective cleaner of inflatables.

I make sure I wash the boat with plain old soap & water to remove the cleaner !

Default clean boats...

yo dirtface,

I also like my AIRE rafts to be clean and free of marks. While I do not mind that my rifle has "field scars", I can't stand "river scars" on my inflatables. I have used two products to clean persistent marks off my boats. The first one should not raise any eyebrows. The second one may provoke some coaching and counsiling toward me.

First...AK Raft & Kayak sells a product appropriately called Inflatable Boat Cleaner, by NRS. It works good, and is a biodegradable cleaner for PVC and hypalon fabrics. But it does not completely remove every strange mark.

The second product works great, but I am concerned that long term use might not be perfect for the inflatable fabric. To remove the most stubborn marks off my rafts I use WD-40. While I'm concerned about its possible affect on the fabric, no visible residue can be observed and no visible damage has occurred. It does disolve and remove any and all strange marks off the boat. Really.

I called AIRE in Idaho and asked them about recommended boat cleaning products. They advised only soap and water, which seldom removes the weird marks that my rafts accumulate. When I mentioned the use of WD-40 to remove marks...they simply had no comment.

If anybody has any credible information concerning the use or abuse of these boat cleaners, and I'm concerned about the WD-40, let the coaching (counsiling and warnings) begin.........

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post

the darn thing already has stains that won't scrub out.

What kind of stains?

While waiting for replies here, I would also contact the manufacturer and get their suggestion. Particularly if there is any solutions you should avoid on the Hypalon. I assume they are hypalon, that is. But check directly from the source in addition to this forum.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Now Dennis

How Could you D***, D**** you and your WD-40 :-) ( Ok Just Kidding) Man that was fun! Nope should not use IAW with Manufactures Spec but hey it's your boat and if we don't like it you can always take your toys and go home :-)

Seriously WD40 is not good for your boat, but then again neither is goo gone. P-Distillants actauly break down the fabric over the course of time and continued use. That is one of the problems with Armorall and STP protectants and one of the reasons for the most part everyone pushes 303 no P.D.

Scrub Scrub Scrub Soap and Water ina Tub!

:-)

Default Thanks for the input

I was just using carwash concentrate that I use on my big boat. There are some dark stains on the bottom that look really ground into the fabric. Couple different spots. I was hoping to protect it from that happening anymore.

What is 303, and where can I get it? dirt

Lightbulb Ouch!

BlueMoose,
    Ouch, but I expected worse. Ya hardly left a bruise. Thanks for the guidance. Just thinking...Petroleum Products...helps explain the potential damage that could occur.

dirtface,
    I can't imagine why or how your new Z-boat would get the dark stains you described in only a few hours on the water. I mean, three hours of trout fishing sounds like very controlled conditions. No pollution, no petroleum products. Did I mention that you should not use WD-40?

I would suggest that you show it to the outfit you purchased it from. Could the fabric have been defective? That has been known to happen. Defective fabrics have got through the quality control department (??) before, even with "dependable", big-name raft manufacturers.

And...what is 303?

Dennis

Default 303

They call it an aerospace protectant... SPF 40 for your stuff.

http://www.303products.com/

I've never used it for removing stains but put a good coat on my canvas soft top, to include vinyl windows, and my inflatable boat before and after every season. My boat is 4 years old and the canvas and vinyl windows are still going strong.

Default Jab Scratch Ouch

Sorry Dennis that is as mean as I get take that! Nice come back on the WD40.

Have a Great Hunting Season eh!

That's it I need to go float hunting NOW! Two weeks and I will be putting all those darn marks in several boats!

I just load gear on them over and over and make them go away at least in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post

What is 303, and where can I get it? dirt

It is very popular with boaters, RV's, etc.. and is a protective spray. Similar to Armour All for the car you might say, but better. I have used it for a few years on my Ally pack canoe and more recently on my Sotar raft. I contacted Sotar and they said this was good stuff to treat rafts with. After washing and completely drying the raft, you just spray this Aerospace 303 on the raft and lightly wipe it around with a rag, let it sit a bit, then buff it a bit with a dry clean rag. Nice and shiny of course, but it also protects the fabric from scratches/stains/UV/etc... Great product and you can use it on many things. Outdoor furniture fabric, rafts, plastic on cars, etc... Any places that sells campers or boats should have it but I buy mine on Campmors website. Good stuff.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...7;20Protectant

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___71270

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Stubborn Stains

I use orange hand cleaner for stains, and for really stubborn stains I will use orange hand cleaner with pumice, then wash with car wash soap or dish soap, rinse well, then apply 303.

Chris

Default Inflatable Cleaning

Has anyone tried Comet or Ajax a cleaner with bleach?

Thanks Dan

Default cleaning

DAWN-- Thats what they are using on my beloved pelicans back home in Louisiana.
    Goo

Someone told me you could use armorall tire cleaner/shine. I guess it helps keep the tubes moist since it's so oily. Cleans off most dirt but doesn't really get the "scratches" out. Just sort of moistens them so they aren't white. Has worked pretty well for me.

Someone chime in I that's a bad idea!!

Default Bad Idea

Simple Stuff - Just check the MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet on what you wish to use it spells out the bad stuff that can potential damage your inflatable prodcut.

Mind you that is my opinion and we all have one. I figure if I am dropping 5-7K on a set up why take the chance.

;-)

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...etireshine.pdf

Default NO Armorall

The armorall product will also stop future patches or coatings from holding too. Don't use it.

I do not believe that 303 helps stop scratches AT ALL....it might stop some sunburn - but scratches - Nope.