Thread: Fishing Coghill

Default Fishing Coghill

Am curious about fishing Coghill for reds. Went out to the trail head for Coghill Lake this fall for the first time. I've heard there is a good red run there. How is it fished? Do you anchor and hike up the river? Do you fish around the mouth from the boat? What goes on there when the fish are in?? Thanks in advance...

Drift gillnets

I've heard snagging at the mouth of the creek
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Good question:

Anyone been there? (haven't myself looks tempting on googleearth tho)

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp/t-1405.html

PS - the archives, above, didn't have much on this subject (successful fishing, that is).

I hereby bump the politics off the top of the page and request someone post something about actual fishing.

Thanks for the info so far....How long is the window for the run? Sounds like it may be a pretty narrow window of opportunity. The wife wants to hike up the trail this coming year, so I thought I may be able to talk her into fishing for some reds while we are there. Does the trail meet the river, or does it go straight to the lake?

Default Coghill

I've been there once so take this info with a grain of salt. We were there with kayaks around the 4th of July. We fished the mouth of the river from shore and did ok. Lot's of pinks mixed in though. Other boats were anchored near the mouth and were snagging and catching some.

When there is a commercial opener there will be nets all over the place so I'd avoid fishing there then. We also watched a lot of float planes going in and out of the lake so I imagine there is some competetion at the lake end of the river too. Check F&G's website for info on run timing.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/coghill.html

this is the link to the information on the counting weir.

I'd guess the run peaks around the 30th of june, thats when our catches of coghill stock hatchery fish in main bay peaked anyway

please try to avoid the coghill and main bay areas on mondays thursdays and fridays, those are usually when the comm fishery is open and adding pukers to the masses of drifters makes navigation hard at best.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.