Thread: Dusky Geese in Unit 6C - Copper River Delta

Default Dusky Geese in Unit 6C - Copper River Delta

In the proposed regulations that came out July 24 (see right hand column on page 12) and closed August 3 there is a proposal to create a goose permit system in unit 6C and Hinchinbrook, Hawkins, and Middleton Islands for the taking of Canada geese so that they can track the taking of Dusky Canada geese. Once 40 Dusky geese have been taken all Canada goose hunting in unit 6C will be closed.

The funny thing is that there are Dusky geese to the west of unit 6C. They migrate south through the Panhandle and there will be no restrictions or permits outside of unit 6C at Cordova.

The rules are supposed to go final on August 17, which does not give the state much time to implement a permit system unless they do it as a walk-in over the counter system in Cordova and Anchorage. All geese will have to be checked to determine if they are Dusky geese so that the 40 geese quota can be determined. Middleton Island has had a permit system in place for a while now so they might use that system which is OTC.

They have the same system in Oregon as well. I remember we had to take a 1 time goose identification class to even get the permit. Then they mail it to you before the season opens every year. Every time you shoot a goose on west side of I-5 (freeway running north south through the willamette valley) you had to take the geese to a check station before you went home. If you shot a dusky your goose season was over west of I-5. After so many dusky's were taken they closed the season, although they never had to close it. The identification class really helped, or people just throwing the dusky's in the brush, or not going to the check station. The weird thing was if you were hunting east of I-5 you didn't need a permit, and you didn't need to take your geese to the check station. Although we always passed on them, and shot great basins, or taverners.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    They have the same system in Oregon as well. I remember we had to take a 1 time goose identification class to even get the permit. Then they mail it to you before the season opens every year. Every time you shoot a goose on west side of I-5 (freeway running north south through the willamette valley) you had to take the geese to a check station before you went home. If you shot a dusky your goose season was over west of I-5. After so many dusky's were taken they closed the season, although they never had to close it. The identification class really helped, or people just throwing the dusky's in the brush, or not going to the check station. The weird thing was if you were hunting east of I-5 you didn't need a permit, and you didn't need to take your geese to the check station. Although we always passed on them, and shot great basins, or taverners.
    Yep, that's a pretty good explaination.

Also, you must TAG all geese you shoot "immediately" on a provided tag. Violation of any of any three of these rules: 1) Shooting a dusky 2) Failure to immediately tag the geese you shoot 3) Not checking geese in at the checkstation; will result in a ticket and/or you can no longer hunt in the permit zone that year and until you've retaken the goose ID test again.

Last year they made the test much easier when they put it online. You're not supposed to look up the answers, but most people I talked to just opened up both the test and the answers on their computer and completed the test. LOTS of people passing the test that have no clue how to ID a dusky, which I'm sure will inevitably lead to Oregon goose seasons getting shut down.

Also, each specific wildlife area has quotas, in addition to regional quotas. Once the quota for dusky's is met on a specific wildlife area, that area shuts down to hunting. Sauvie Island Wildlife area was a place I hunted often and it almost never made it to the end of the season. Some joker would shoot 5 dusky's in one day and shut 'er down.

We always hunted the Willamette river and also the grass seed fields that are everywhere around it. I was only able to hunt it from about 1995 to 2000, before I joined the military. They never had to shut the season down back in those days. Due to having to take the class, most people wouldn't get the permit. It sucks they made it so people who don't know a dusky from a cackler can go out there and ruin it for everybody.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!