Thread: Foot care

Default Foot care

Just a reminder to think about one of the important but often overlooked aspects of heading out on a self-supported trip.

--Today is the 4th. Sheep hunters heading out for the opener should be trimming their toenails (correctly) today/tomorrow and sanding down any corns or callouses.

--High quality socks, knee high with good elastic that stay up, and changed regularly

--Spare insoles: Changed out daily to minimize residual moisture in boots

--Hot spots: Stop immediately, drop the pack, shuck the boots and fix the problem before blisters form (silver duct tape works best for me). If you are near water soak your feet for a minute to cool them off. Dry well then apply hot spot fix.

--Relief & Inspections: Even on a weight conscious backpack hunt I bring slippers (or crocs or whatever) to give my feet a rest. As soon as I'm back to camp off come the boots. While the water is heating the feet get the once over--a little rub, clean between the toes.

--Gold Bond powder: It is a few extra ounces (film canister's worth) but the feet get a little at bed time

For those blessed with hooves...feel free to disregard. For the rest of us mere mortals don't forget to be good to your tootsies.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    For those blessed with hooves...feel free to disregard. For the rest of us mere mortals don't forget to be good to your tootsies.
    If i could give you 10 points i would.

Good tips. My feet are always my biggest concern...I can handle just about anything else.

Default notes to add

You might be able to find some hydropel which is a foot treatment marathon runners use for hotspots.
    I have been using bodyglide lubricant as well because it is so hot. You put it on problem areas that chaf.

Burt's Bees also has a beewax based lubricant that comes in a small container that you can pick up at Freddies or Lowes. It is good as an extra foot treatment as well.

Sincerely,
    Best luck,
    Thomas

yuck, I hate feet.... But this is a good thread...

Default blisters

Oh Boy - I hiked crow pass last weekend and I have blisters on my blisters. I made the wife stop and treat hers as soon as she mentioned hot spots - but of course mine weren't "that" bad - but by the time I got to the other end of the trail I almost could not walk.

I am going to have to get new boots - and these were my best fitting custom built boots too......urrgggh.

Default Great post

I carry some of that mole skin with me for hot spots. Really haven't had any hot spots since I bought the Lowa GTX's. Replaced the insoles with super feet and have a great pair of boots!

Just a reminder to think about one of the important but often overlooked aspects of heading out on a self-supported trip.

--Today is the 4th. Sheep hunters heading out for the opener should be trimming their toenails (correctly) today/tomorrow and sanding down any corns or callouses.

--High quality socks, knee high with good elastic that stay up, and changed regularly

--Hot spots: Stop immediately, drop the pack, shuck the boots and fix the problem before blisters form (silver duct tape works best for me). If you are near water soak your feet for a minute to cool them off. Dry well then apply hot spot fix.

--Relief & Inspections: Even on a weight conscious backpack hunt I bring slippers (or crocs or whatever) to give my feet a rest. As soon as I'm back to camp off come the boots. While the water is heating the feet get the once over--a little rub, clean between the toes.

--Gold Bond powder: It is a few extra ounces (film canister's worth) but the feet get a little at bed time

good stuff thank you
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I carry some of that mole skin with me for hot spots. Really haven't had any hot spots since I bought the Lowa GTX's. Replaced the insoles with super feet and have a great pair of boots!
    Barney's sells a kit for hot spots. The only thing better than being prepare to treat blisters is never having them in the first place!!!!

Brett

Default Agree

with you Bret. I bring along some Dr. Scholl's blister pads. I rarely need to use stuff, but carry it just in case. I didn't see that while at Barney's. Probably would have bought it!

Default pads

The blister pads work great -but they are expensive - still though I take lots of them. Duct tape works very well if you don't already have a blister - if you do have a blister or are bleeding from the wound - the duct tape hurts to remove...with the pads - I just leave them on. Moleskin works too.

One thing Uncle Sam's army taught me was the necessity of taking care of your feet.

I probably pack more spare socks than needed, but better to have and not need........

Also plenty of foot powder and moleskin just in case.
    Now what ?

Default Dude is Right On!

Being born and raise in Alaska. Having been lucky enough to harvest all but three animals this "Great" State has to offer. I haven't seen any web chat that is more important than this.
    Thru all of my adventures, and all of the "Newbie" I've introduced to Alaska. This is the most important thing I consitantly say.

The most important thing you need is a good pair of boot. Take care of your feet. Your only going as far as they will take you!

This guy is right on!

Kinda of a side note; I just got drawn for Kodiak Brown Bear (Spring 2010). In 1998 I got a very nice Elk off of Raspberry. It took me two different tries to get my Elk, but those hunt made me put the Kodiak "Bear" into it's own classification. I've taken interior Grizzlies, but I'm sorry. There is a difference. Kodiak Browns are not interior Griz!
    If I'm lucky enough to get my Brown Bear, then I will only have to two left. The Bison and Musk Ox.

Default Garbage Bags?

Great post Erik - sore feet can ruin a great trip!
    I was on a fly in moose hunt in 2004 - wore knee high Lacrosse boots - great ankle fit however at end of day it was a major effort to get my size 13's out of them. A couple days of this and I tried slipping a small plastic garbage bag over my socks and this worked GREAT! I could easily slip my big feet out at the end of the day. No blisters either but I did get some "prune" wrinkles from moisture....

If hiking for sheep, a roll of ankle tape with the pre-wrap not only helps protect your ankles, but reduces friction on your heels.

Great post Erik, I thought I was the only one who brought flipflops on packing trips Everyone looks at you crazy when you put them on, but as your feet are cool and dry at camp, everybody else is still hobblin' around in their sweaty boots.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If i could give you 10 points i would.

there i am good for 7 or 8 got ya covered...

good post Erik! good thread
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Excellent post!

That's a great reminder, especially this time of the (pre)season when everyone gets so caught up in all the other prep work. You can't afford to lose your mobility.

I agree completely on bringing a pair of slippers.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.