Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Game Ammo 30-06

Default Big Game Ammo 30-06

I am planning a hunt next year and am looking at start pulling some ammo and seeing how it shoots. Just curious on what other 30-06 users use?? I will be after Moose/Brownies.

I was at cheaper than dirt and they have so many types to choose from. I do not reload so they will be bought and shot. I might get into reloading but at the moment I will stick with factory loads.

Example
    Brand: FIOCCHI Extrema Rifle Hunting Cartridge
    Grain: 180 SST Polymer-Tip Boat Tail

Thanks in Advance
    Brian

Federal Premium ammo 180g Nosler Partition

or

Honrady Light mag ammo 180g Interlock SPBT

Thanks Bernie..

Is that what you used to drop that beuty in your picture?

What would be a good way to test a round to see how the expansion and fragmentation goes with different rounds?

Shoot a 2x4 or 4x4 and put a couple pieces of cardboard after it and the backstop to see how the round performs? Any ideas?

Default Bullet Performance

I think Federal also loads the Barnes Triple-shock bullet in this caliber. Anyhow, you want a bullet that is going to hold together. For testing bullets you could use some wet telephone books to check destruction or get a recipe for ballistic gelatin. Good luck!

I am also a factory ammo guy. Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet. Good for everything except maybe going after Kodiak/AK pen/SE brownies on purpose, which I personally don't.
    They are expensive, but everything I have ever pointed the rifle at and pulled the trigger falls over dead.

Thanks Game, I will have to try to look up the gelaton but if it is difficult then I will just use the telephone book method.

I seen some that go up to 200grain and even 220grain. I guess not to many people use these. To big or to slow??

I think alot of folks use the 200&220gr. and for sure if brownies are in the works. Some handloaders even go a bit bigger. I would take the 220 over the 180 in all cases where shooting under 300 yards if moose and bear were my target game

Default Around for a long time

The Nosler partition round has been around (and effective) for a long time. If your rifle shoots partitions well, I wouldn't look at anything else.

I use my 06 for something other than brown bears and usually shoot something lighter BUT, when that something else is down, I immediately load my 06 with 180 grain partitions - just in case.

The newer BarnesX bullets are also good. Shoot something that your rifle will shoot accurately and that has enough weight to stop a bear.

I don't have an "06" myself, but my buddy who I spent a week hunting with in Namibia last month, is an "06" man. He used Federal Premium 180gr. Triple Shocks. He only recovered 1 Bullet and I think that was from a Wildebeest shot at 300+ yards. It shot through and killed with authority including Kudu, Gemsbok, and Zebra also, which are tough, fairly large critters. I was shooting same kind of ammo in 225gr. .338winmag. Six bullets fired, six animals dead. I personally,
    would have no problem useing the "06" for Moose and Brown Bears with carefull shot placement. No bullet replaces shot placement.

150 grain Barnes X Bullets. You can kill anything in Alaska with confidence with this round. If you want something that will stop a bear, then I would go higher, but this round will go through a brown bear like a hot knife through butter. Same with moose.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Federal Premium with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 165gr

Great bullet

I use Federal Premium High Energy w/ 180 gr Nosler Partition. However, Federal is dropping that load and swapping out the Partition for the Trophy Bonded Tipped. The published velocities @ 2880 fps are the same.
    Now what ?

What, no Remington Core-lokt fans out there?

Smile One for Remington

180gr Core-Lokt. Been using them for about 35 years. Bought a .300wm about 10 years ago and use it now for anything over elk/black bear size. Still use a 180gr in it also. Might up the gr for Brown bear/Musk Ok/ and Bison which I'll never get a tag for anyway. IMO.

Mike

Erik, here's another vote for the Federal 165gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Unfortunately they stopped making it - replacing it with the "tipped" version - but I have a good enough stock laid in to get me through this season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JRaw View Post
    Erik, here's another vote for the Federal 165gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Unfortunately they stopped making it - replacing it with the "tipped" version - but I have a good enough stock laid in to get me through this season at least.
    Really? Dang!
    If I'd a been paying attention I would have bought more. I have 4 boxes and a few loose rounds left. I shoot the cheap stuff for practice and sighting then burn as few rounds of hunting ammo as possible for final adjustments.

Hopefully the tipped stuff will perform just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    Thanks Bernie..

Is that what you used to drop that beuty in your picture?

What would be a good way to test a round to see how the expansion and fragmentation goes with different rounds?

Shoot a 2x4 or 4x4 and put a couple pieces of cardboard after it and the backstop to see how the round performs? Any ideas?

Yes, I used the Honrady Light mag ammo 180g Interlock SPBT for the Brown Bear in my aviator. I think the Noslar Partition is a little bit better bullet but the Hornady ammo works great and it’s a little cheaper.

If you want to test the rounds I would use a sheet of ¾ plywood to simulate a shoulder and several feet of wet phone books behind it.

Thumbs up THE "NEW TIPED STUFF" WORKS GREAT (40+$ a box)

I 2ND/3RD ****Federal Premium with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw*** 165gr... WACKEM & STACKEM PS ...former (9.99 a box) 180gr fed classic user/it was a da m good bullet till the bear claws came around...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default 180 barnes tripple shock for goat????

Planning on using these for moose and goat this year. what do you think???

Quote Originally Posted by ducks n' dogs View Post
    Planning on using these for moose and goat this year. what do you think???
    It will work but a 180 Noslar Partition would better bet and a quicker kill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast