Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOL! Ma'sox!

Default LOL! Ma'sox!

We nailed about a dozen good Caribou, with short shiny black hair, giving away the fresh meat and drying what we couldnt give away ,and in midwhile berry picking, and repairing our outfit.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

A couple days befor Ox season started, Wolves jumped the gun and just didnt wait.....~~LOL!!~~

Well today started out kinda gloomy , so we didnt leave untill after lunch. We pretty much knew the whereabouts of a 50+ herd, and after landing the boat and moving up the cliff above them, we sat and looked 'em over till we figured two that were up to our spec's......then the Ox all turned into the breeze, moving at "Ox Speed", about as fast as they eat, walking along.....
    I alsop dressed for the occasion, by wearing my Belgish' Cammo pants...makes almost invisible, ya think?

The Ox in the forground were "doable" but the wife and I settled on a Bull a bit further along the hillside, and Brett wanted a BIG fellow that was walking along the water.

Well, it was time to get our "Ox-on", but Bretts pick was thinking that he'd just mosey out to sea , much to Bretts amusement....untill he'd spent about 10 minutes there, and we started yelling to get 'em moving.

My ox just trotted into the herd , so I waited a bit....

Bretts pick had made it along the beach, half in the ater, past our little ridge and I was watching the fellow I wanted move up the hill, leading a few other fringe bulls up.
    I was suggessting that he wait to shoot untill I reposition up the slope a bit for my shot and he wait for his pick to follow up the herd, OFF the sand and onto grass, where the Ox were moving up in line
    Then he answered a bit loud "OK!" and took his shot!!......
    W T F ?!?!?!

Ooooooooo Kaaaaaaayyyyyy.......
    Well the pack parted, with some streaming off ,"slowly"(that's an understatement) down the beach and the other half picking up pace on the uphill trot, so I took my shot, as he lead the way up.
    She got the picture just as he dropped and slid about 10 feet down the slippery slope, turning the Ox below back to the beach.

You know, onew shot, 3rd neckbone back, 40 yards, M-39, czeck LPS dose it as I know it will Total bone blowout and not a second thought for that fellow...

Time to get them taken apart....and this guys ladys didnt want to go, much to Bretts growing concern..~~LOL!!~~

Brett had the cure for all the sand, however...

And in a few short hours, the meat is hung, the neck is strip cut to dry, the hide is streched on the beach, and the head buried to get the flesh to rot off quicker.

The choice innerds and tounge are in our freezer and so will much of this, as the days go by and put them into fdreeze and then we haul our freezer home
    All in all a good hunt so far, these last couple weeks, with just the wife and I and still theres the trip home

Default Awesome!

Thanks for sharing stranger!

Thumbs up

Great report strangerinastrangeland! Looks like a perfect hunt, can't beat them cooperating like that and the bugs didn't look too bad either!

Another excellent thread! Thanks for sharing!!

Thumbs up The Stranger strikes again!

Thanks for the photos, story and memories. Keep living the dream!

Gotta love it with all the high tech hunting outfits and newest greatest guns and bullets for the year how could you not connect. Keeping it real as always,thanks for the pics and be safe&enjoy

Is the fish rack right in Deering? Have you visited Mike in Candle?
    Cool pics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up

I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up

you make us all jealous. much thanx for sharing pics and story.

I'm glad you fella's enjoy the post.

It took old fasioned low tec, milsurp to connect, Amigo, ~~LOL!!~~

MT, we did have a cup of coffee in Candle with Mike and Dorthy, they seem like OK people. Dont know them much, but they are nice.
    Since we arnt working in Candle anymore (no one is) we only pass through but we do stop when someones in town.We were the last year round residents.We stay a few miles away, and hardly see anyone but other hunters, hunting.
    The Rack is here at Deering, at Karmuns, we use it when were here with meats or to store, as they let us keep a freezer here in exchange for meats.We put up a small tent in the back and repair our stuffs here as well. Its where the gas and store are also, so having a place to put things to store far from "Home" really helps, and these are subsistance folks, so all is good.
    Our racks in the country are usuallt ties poles and tarps.

Weve been here at Deering for a week now, and now I have another camera, but I sure wish I had pix of the last few weeks camping.Oh well.
    We cant wait to go home and wash up! Weve been rotating between 3 sets of clothes, and Deerings city is broke so the water plant (Washing machines) are closed. Hand washing is a bummer

Well, lots to do now, after lunch, maby I should take a pict of the head?~~LOL!!~~

Thanks for the great pics.

Those look like cloud berries in the first pic, no? I'm as jealous of those as the ox.

Congrats

Mmmmmm.........Dry meat.

The choice innerds and tounge are in our freezer and so will much of this, as the days go by and put them into fdreeze and then we haul our freezer home
    Never underestimate the goodness of choice innards. Stuffed moose guts are one of my favorites.
    Now what ?

Default Nice

Looks like a great trip, I'm jealous. Keep us updated and thanks for sharing!
    BK

Default Great Hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    And in a few short hours, the meat is hung, the neck is strip cut to dry, the hide is streched on the beach, and the head buried to get the flesh to rot off quicker.

The choice innerds and tounge are in our freezer and so will much of this, as the days go by and put them into freeze and then we haul our freezer home
    All in all a good hunt so far, these last couple weeks, with just the wife and I and still theres the trip home
    What a hunt! Great pics, too.
    Looks like some excellent carving work, there!
    (Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'working vacation!')

Thanks for taking the time again to share with us, Stranger...
    and continue to 'enjoy' that trip back home!

Doc

All that ox is making me hungry.
    Haven't had any in awhile.
    Will show the wife tonight when she gets home.

Thanks for the pic's and story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast