Thread: ground hornets

Default ground hornets

I located a hive of ground hornets inside the root system of one of my better birch trees. If they are just in the neddles somewhere I usually just break up the hive with a shovel and smoke them with a weed burner but with this hive I can't break it up. I tried to flood them but that isn't seeming to do it. Who's had this problem and what was the fix?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Wait another six weeks, then dig it up I've had decent luck just soaking the ground around it with wasp and hornet spray every day for a few days.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wait til the evening when most are in the hive, then hose it down with wasp and hornet spray.

I found one of those nests a few years back in my yard, when I was mowing the lawn My neighbor thought I'd cut off my foot based on how I reacted when I located the nest. I hate those suckers.

I had the exact same problem and I didn't mind them being there until my dog stuck his nose in the hole and tried to sniff them out. Those suckers stormed out of the hole and whooped his butt. So off I went to just about every store in Anchorage looking for a can of wasp/hornet spray, but the entire town was sold out. I finally settled on a can of those bug bombs that are intended to be used inside houses. My first thought was that I would trip the trigger on the can and just shove it in the hole, but after contempating the possible outcome I decided there had to be a better way. I didn't want to end up like my dog. So I jambed a 5' tall stick in the ground (several feet from the wasp hole), then stuck a 2-1/2" pipe into the wasp hole and propped the other end of the pipe on the stick, so the pipe was at about a 30 degree angle. Then I hit the trigger on the bug bomb and dropped it down the pipe. The bug bomb blew right into the wasp hole and wiped out the whole colony.

Good luck. Those wasps/hornets are bad this year. I also had a huge nest under the lid of my septic system, but that is another story.

Stir a good shot of liquid detergent into a bucket of water and hit the hole-the soap film suffocates them immediately. May take a couple of times, but it works.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Good luck. Those wasps/hornets are bad this year. I also had a huge nest under the lid of my septic system, but that is another story.
    well as long as the system is not an outhouse...... the pea trap should slow them down
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default They SUCK

Well went to the local box store to find me some medicine for them. Found some industrial looking stuff. Watched them till after dark last night while a few of them were still flying home. Got up at 4 this a.m. and did the sneak attack on them, got 3/4's of the can out and heard a firmiliar sound apperently they had a hole behind me somewhere couse the next thing that was happening was I was getting stung on the top of my bald head. Running for cover I kept telling myself I should have worn that mosqito net but oh no I thought I knew better, but I do now.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Smile

Next time you go at it have someone film it. You might win $10,000 on America's funniest home videos. LOL

Default That's why we wear

A full bee keepers suit, I'm a pest controller.
    The best thing for wasps or hornets is a dust called Permex, it's permethrin in a dust form. We use buckets of it every year, put it into a duster and blow it into the hole or just dump it in the holes. Kills the nest within 24 hours.

These bees love salmon liver. I was cleaning fish and the bees came out in force. I found their nest and will soon be declaring chemical warfare on them. Where can I get Permex?
    That's what she said...

Sorry to about your misfortune. Sure got a good chuckle though. Reminded me of when I found a bumble bee nest with the weed eater...

Was getting em pretty good with the weed eater then a few made it through. I ran screaming like a girl across the yard, swatting with my hat, vaulted a 6ft fence to get away from them. Walked around to the front of the house, pulled my hat on and got lit up. Apparently I snagged a few in the hat while I was swatting them.. Lesson learned. Drop the hat..

Default Try here

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    These bees love salmon liver. I was cleaning fish and the bees came out in force. I found their nest and will soon be declaring chemical warfare on them. Where can I get Permex?
    http://www.pestproducts.com/permethrin_dust.htm
    It should be the same as what we use.