Thread: Odd meat on a silver...

Default Odd meat on a silver...

When I was cutting up the fillets from one of the silvers I got out of ship creek there was a sort of odd discharge from the meat as I cut it in half. The meat looked kind of odd to start with so after I saw that I did a closer examination and noticed some odd white/brownish spots or flecks in the meat. I cut some out but couldn't tell what they were. Could they be worm larva or something? I sadly tossed the meat, but now wishing I had waited and found out what it was first. Thoughts?

I have seen the same thing in silvers in Kodiak. It is weird white tumors or growths about the size of a cooked piece of white rice all throughout the fillet. You fillet the salmon and see them and cut them open and it oozes a white puss like substance. You can tell by the pock marks or weird dot like look all over the side of the fish. I now just throw them back.

Default silver worms

we get those out here in king salmon quite frequently.f&g says they are a parasite larva and they get them in the in certain parts of the ocean .they say you can eat them.when there is just a couple i'll cut them out when there is a bunch that is a differant story.like the previos post said you can see dots/raised blemishes on the outside skin.if we see those we turn the fish loose .some days over half of the fish have them.i know there is a couple of adfg biologist 's on here that might shed some more light on this

About the size of a grain of rice was exactly the size of it, so we are probably talking about the same thing. Did not notice anything odd marks on the body of the fish though.

Thanks for the reply's!

Thumbs up

Parasites. I doubt you will find a Salmon without them. Some have more than others, but it is just more protien from the bounty of the sea. Cook them good and enjoy.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I had one like that out of Seward last week, also one last year. I also threw it out.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

If the recipe calls for rice, this fish will save you a step.....jus' sayin'...

i have several customers that catch these out of seward every year, i normally notice them while the fish is in the net and release them, gross looking anyway

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    If the recipe calls for rice, this fish will save you a step.....jus' sayin'...
    what he said

Default dinner bell ?

? a sort of odd discharge from the meat
    ?Parasites.
    ? cut them open and it oozes a white puss like substance.
    ?It is weird white tumors or growths
    ?more protien from the bounty of the
    ?seaworm larva or something

Quote "AKRES" Cook them good and enjoy.

Lets all jump in the truck! "AKRES" is cooking up parasites, tumors, with a alfredo sauce

Question Are those Sea Lice?

I have a video here.. but I do not know if it is Sea Lice like it says in the video?
    Video 1

Another Article on Sea Louse, or Sea Lice... are these any way related to what you are finding?

Photos of our fishing trips....and other possibly interesting information: http://www.alaskalive.net

Talking I did More Research

Love to see a photo of what you are seeing...

I found another article.. maybe this is more like it? Link

Photos of our fishing trips....and other possibly interesting information: http://www.alaskalive.net

The fish with the visible "pox" on the outside suffer from scale-pocket disease. It is confined strictly to the skin and does NOT affect the meat. Folks who throw these fish back are squandering hard-earned protein!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=96652

The fish with the pus-filled "rice granules" in the meat suffer from Tapioca disease.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....99&postcount=3
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

WOW allot of great info here! thanks!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The fish with the visible "pox" on the outside suffer from scale-pocket disease. It is confined strictly to the skin and does NOT affect the meat. Folks who throw these fish back are squandering hard-earned protein!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=96652
    I think this is the same thing we used to see on cod boats out in the Bering Sea. The fish looked all blistered and disgusting when they came on board, but the quality control guys always said the same thing fishNphysician says: it has nothing to do with the meat, just the skin. Believe me, the q.c. guys on highliner boats who are paid by the Asian wholesalers aren't being paid to pass through fish that's inedible.