Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bering Wolffish

Default Bering Wolffish

Has anybody ever cought one of these fish before? We got one and had no idea what it was till we got to the dock.. This thing had teeth on the roof of its mouth. I will try to load a picture.. this thing was UGLY...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL yeah they are ugly ashore... but they ae an amazing critter of the deep...

i used to feed a pair while diving off the Ketchikan coast years back... almost cat like when they go to know you... that pair was sitting on eggs... a flounder on a stick was the only way to get them out....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ugly mugs

reminds me of the nightmare on elm street guys face. seen one scuba diving all the time in whittier and he was always in the same debris pile in a pipe about 12" round. go up to the pipe and shine your light into it and this face with teeth would always be staring back at you.

freddy kruger fish

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ... a flounder on a stick was the only way to get them out....
    If you are talking about the pair at Mt. Point, Urchins worked well on getting them out also.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I caught one last year in PWS, if I hadn't just read something on here about them being edible, I would have thrown it back.

I kept it and it was delicious, white meat with quite a bit of yellowish fat.

They are uglier than homemade soap.

Vince, 338, thats a story.
    Last edited by HarryHyde; 08-04-2009 at 08:54. Reason: spelling

Caught my first ever arrow tooth flounder (13 pounds) after 10 years of fishing the Ocean in Alaska. Freaked me out. Thought it was a 1/2 halibut and 1/2 Lingcod freakazoid. Took it in along with 2 others into Seward and took a while to find someone that could tell me what it was.

Default Kodiak Wolf eel

Here is a Wolf eel I caught a couple of weeks ago, one of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen with the contrasting colors of gray and black. Fought like a halibut at first, but then came fairly easy. Let it go to live another day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default mass

I caught a couple on the East Coast - out of Plymouth...17 pounds was my biggest - they are very good to eat.

These are some pics I rec'd a few weeks back of one caught here in Southeast. They came with the caption of "Wolf Eel," but I do think it's a Wolf Fish

Thumbs down What did you do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by dbull66 View Post
    Has anybody ever cought one of these fish before? We got one and had no idea what it was till we got to the dock.. This thing had teeth on the roof of its mouth. I will try to load a picture.. this thing was UGLY...
    Talked to a guy 2 years ago in Homer who was cleaning one. He said that he heard they were excellent. The one he had looked like it was 100 years old and the teeth on the roof of the mouth looked liked human molars. Pretty disgusting overall. I don't think I could bring myself to try one.

Yeah, LG is holding a wolf fish. Kinda looks like it bit him on the hand.

Here is a male and female wolf eel (not really a true eel, by the way. They are still "fish".) that I used to dive with and feed. I took my gloves off to handle the fish, as the neoprene gloves would have removed too much protective slime off of these fish.

The males are lighter with visible black molting spots. They are a very good looking fish, IMO. I'd love to have a replica of a male wolf eel in my house.

The females are dark - almost a dark blue color.

Wolf eels are quite personable underwater and I never met one that I didn't like. Once they realize that divers generally feed them, they become quite friendly - much like a neighborhood dog. They will follow you around, and if you stop at their dens, they will come out, sit on your shoulder wrapped around your head and beg for food.

Took that fine wolf eel knowledge of mine and applied it to the smaller spotted moray eels off of Cozumel, Mexico. Bad idea. Those little buggers are fast, mean, ill-tempered, snappy, and if bit, would easily take off a finger. Almost got bit here trying to scratch the chin on a moray. This little booger was flat out mean and was rather offended at me trying to give it a scratch under the chin!

Those are outstanding pictures parker. Im taking a scuba class in college to get licensed so I can dive as well. Diving with critters has always been a great interest of mine.

Yep, Moray's are about as cute and cuddly as a Wolverine!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    These are some pics I rec'd a few weeks back of one caught here in Southeast. They came with the caption of "Wolf Eel," but I do think it's a Wolf Fish

That's a mustard eel....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Be careful feeding them

Someone posted a link to a youtube video of a guy getting his thumb bit off by one on this forum a while back. The thing thought his thumb was part of the bait and ripped it off and ate it. Sick video. I'm sure someone can find it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

About 35 years ago I was in Seward and we were catching salmon off the dock using cut bait under a bobber. There was a young girl of about 7 years of age catching them and her father was unhooking them and placing them in the cooler. She hooked a wolf eel and when she saw it she threw the rod in the water and ran for the car.

Question mustard eel?

never heard them called that . the fish in the picture is a giant wrymouth, Delolepis gigantea.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default that would have been hilarious!!

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    About 35 years ago I was in Seward and we were catching salmon off the dock using cut bait under a bobber. There was a young girl of about 7 years of age catching them and her father was unhooking them and placing them in the cooler. She hooked a wolf eel and when she saw it she threw the rod in the water and ran for the car.

I told my uncle to keep his hand away from its mouth when he was taking a hook out one time and after we got its teeth unlocked off his thumb i just said "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

These awnry fish will bite other fish in the cooler and will try to bite you if your hand gets too close to them. Use caution!! Another monster to dream about

Good eating, i agree!

Default In the freezer

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Talked to a guy 2 years ago in Homer who was cleaning one. He said that he heard they were excellent. The one he had looked like it was 100 years old and the teeth on the roof of the mouth looked liked human molars. Pretty disgusting overall. I don't think I could bring myself to try one.
    I kept the meat.. Im going to try it..

Default Eel Video

Here is the eel V thumb video that was spoken of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsbdrx-sOXo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast