Thread: New boat first trip

Default New boat first trip

Well, new to me.
    Sold the old Wooldridge Alaskan 17.5', and found a 2000 17'3" Wooldridge Sport in Tok.
    Ended up buying it instead of the 19' Wooldridge SUV i went to look at in Wasilla. Nice boat, but too big for my needs.
    Anywa, the Sport is a great rig, super happy with it. The 72" wide bottom really makes a difference in load hauling and on-step performance. With the cockpit forward design and the width, it has scads of room in it, really swallows up the load. The Sport design works great on lakes too, which was a problem with the Ak.
    Anyway, picked it up with a 115 Yamaha 2s on it, 147 hours on the whole package. Runs great, gets about the same mileage as my 17.5' with a 115 Evinrude FICHT. About 8 GPH, 2.8 MPG as measured on a trip this past weekend.
    Went out to look for Sheep, but got rained out. Good shakedown cruise though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (73.0 KB, 142 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (52.0 KB, 147 views)

Default Was that the boat

at Iron Dog? Looked like a nice one. Glad you like it! Enjoy it. Sheep trip is only a few days away!

Thumbs up

Nice looking Wooly Yukoner! Good luck hunting this fall!

I'm not sure where the Iron Dog is, but this one was right by a welding shop, facing the highway.
    Funny, it wasn't listed for sale anywhere, and i happened to spot it while driving through Tok at 1 in the morning, on the way to Wasilla. I had been looking for a 17' Sport for a while now, but could never find one in Alaska, at least the 17' model.
    The only negative to this one is that it was ordered with a low transom to allow for prop or jet. Not a biggy though, a few hours in my shop with the spoolgun, and i'll have a new transom on her. Or maybe not
    I'm going to re-power at some point with a 150 4 stroke, and the optio to run prop seems pretty good.
    I think i'll build up the sides of the transom to the right height, but build a removeable cover plate that would cover the gap used to mount the motor low. This instead of a jack plate. Make it easier to swap motor heights.
    Anyway, so far, the most i have had in her on step was ~1200 lbs, and it got up no problem. It seems this wide hull just likes to get on step. With the 115, the heavier load takes a bit, but it just climbs right up there. Once on step, you can throttle right back, and it stays.
    Going to go out with some 45gal drums just to find my max.
    Cheers
    Paul

Default Yep

That was the boat! I had a friend interested in a boat and told him about that one. Glad you bought it and it is what you like! Nothing like having a boat you enjoy being in and driving! Hope it works great for you!

shoot me a PM when you repower. that 115 would look nice on the back of my wooly AK.