Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Hunting in National Parks

  1. #1
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default Hunting in National Parks

    Just wondering if this has ever been brought up, but have they ever talked about opening up Denali or Wrangell St. Elias for special DRAW Hunts???

    The reason I ask, because my buddy just got drawn for Bull Elk in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. I've known about this hunt for a long time, and have known many who've gotten drawn for it.

    Okay, so if they do, they should make it a once in a lifetime draw, like they do down south. I guess it depends on the numbers of certain species.

  2. #2

    Default It has been discussed and

    at a very high level of people, but in the end, I don't think the park service is ever going to even consider something like that. Basically I was told if and when all the stars and planets align, this may happen. Heck, the park service won't really be happy until there is NO hunting in the parks.

  3. #3
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    ANILCA governs most of the parks and who can hunt there. I suspect it would take modification of ANILCA by congress to allow any hunting, besides subsistence hunting, in the Nat. Parks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  4. #4

    Default Yes, it would

    require an act of Congress to do the changes. That is why it was said that when all the stars and planets align, it may happen. The people that were trying to make it happen had a good plan and money, but again, too much red tape and politics to make it happen.

  5. #5
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    There have been talks of a depredation bison hunt in Yellowstone a couple of years back because of the numbers and that they had started moving into ranch land ajacent to the park, I'm sure you guys remember the slaughter a couple years back, something like 178 or so bison, remember? The ranchers feared "brucellosis" so they had all these bison put down. So why not a hunt?

    On another note, in 2006, they counted over 600-plus grizzlies just in the park, and now they are moving south, Yellowstone is not that big.
    Last edited by kahahawai; 08-03-2009 at 23:47. Reason: reword

  6. #6
    Member Torpedoshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    41

    Default States Rights

    We Alaskans should be able to hunt on all non-private lands. Our nations constitution limits federal control of land to forts, arsenals, and dockyards and to the national capitol, and makes no mention of national parks. Our resource ...our rights!

    For Liberty,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

  7. #7

    Default Bit different in the states

    because they don't have ANILCA to deal with. And yes, I think there should be some type of limited draw hunts in the parks, but will it happen? Not in our life time.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Well maybe certain parts of the national park but in Denali especially the bears along the park road are so used to seeing hikers and tourists etc. it would be too easy to get close and so it's not really fair game. Not to mention it would have to be out of tourist season, as a bus full of tourists would freak if they saw a hunt in progress and I know that Alaska needs the tourists dollars.

    That said, national parks only make up a fraction of the land up here!

  9. #9
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    at a very high level of people, but in the end, I don't think the park service is ever going to even consider something like that. Basically I was told if and when all the stars and planets align, this may happen. Heck, the park service won't really be happy until there is NO hunting in the parks.
    You forgot that they also want no hunting in a "buffer" zone around the park to make sure that none of their animals get killed if they get lost and wonder out into the real world...

    I am no fan of ANILCA, and I agree that the Federal Govt should not own land in any state beyond that needed for national defense (forts, bases and naval yards)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    That said, national parks only make up a fraction of the land up here!
    And what fraction of sheep habitat is in a national park?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Just a reminder, from here at my day job at NPS, that we do manage more than 20 million acres of national preserves around Alaska that are open to sport hunting. Back to the original question, about 6 million acres of preserve are at Wrangell-St. Elias (4.8m) and Denali (1.3m).

  12. #12

    Default Lets not forget

    Gates of the Arctic National Park. How many acres of sheep habitat there?

  13. #13
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Someone please PM me when my special permit to hunt south of the White River becomes available!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    Well maybe certain parts of the national park but in Denali especially the bears along the park road are so used to seeing hikers and tourists etc. it would be too easy to get close and so it's not really fair game. Not to mention it would have to be out of tourist season, as a bus full of tourists would freak if they saw a hunt in progress and I know that Alaska needs the tourists dollars.

    That said, national parks only make up a fraction of the land up here!
    What fraction makes up the national parks? It is much "larger" than a fraction!!!

  15. #15

    Default Parks

    I asked the question because I seem to remember reading something from Heimer a while back about the percentage of sheep habitat tied up in un-huntable land. It was significant and I would think that puts a lot more hunting pressure on other sheep populations. At any rate, it is by no means an insignificant fraction.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

  16. #16

    Default

    It will never happen up here. The greenees and left wingers have ruined it forever.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    There have been talks of a depredation bison hunt in Yellowstone a couple of years back because of the numbers and that they had started moving into ranch land ajacent to the park, I'm sure you guys remember the slaughter a couple years back, something like 178 or so bison, remember? The ranchers feared "brucellosis" so they had all these bison put down. So why not a hunt?

    On another note, in 2006, they counted over 600-plus grizzlies just in the park, and now they are moving south, Yellowstone is not that big.
    I can promise you that would never, ever happen. People can talk about it all they want.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    It will never happen up here. The greenees and left wingers have ruined it forever.
    That's it, all conflicts in Alaska are reducible to a right and left wing dichotomy what a surprise.

    Denali park was established first and foremost to counteract the deleterious effects of market hunting on the sheep. While that does obviously not apply today, it does explain why a lot of sheep habitat is tied up in the parks. I wouldn't see a problem with doing limited draws on the more remote parts of the park i.e. everywhere except the park road. Don't tell me that still ties up the too much sheep habitat, because the park road covers only half of the northern part of the Alaska range.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    What fraction makes up the national parks? It is much "larger" than a fraction!!!
    Well, even 99/100 is a "fraction"

    Just over 1/7th of the land inside Alaska is in also inside a unit administered by the National Park Service, however as noted above some fraction of that NPS fraction is open to sport hunting and trapping.

  20. #20
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    67% is the magic number for how much of AK is federal land, while not a "park" per say it still take the game management out of the state control and puts it at the federal level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •