Thread: Back form Naked Island Deer Hunt

Wink Back form Naked Island Deer Hunt

We went out with Lazy otters charters in the middle of October. Mike was a great captain. I never meet him before, but I think most good sportsmen wood like him. Mike brought his son to spend so time with him. As a father I like seeing this. My party only had 3 people so there was plenty of room. We showed up with a cataraft motor and enough gear and food to last a month, but only stayed 3 days. Mike and his son help us load our gear without batting an eye. Their boat the Explorer was a good size boat and fast it took us less than 1 1/2 hours to get to Naked Island. It also took a little while to find a good place to land in Cabin Bay where we could unload all are gear.
    There was time to make camp and explore a way up the mountain so we all 3 let out. It was brushy going up but we found a better way coming down. Which we used again the next day picking our way threw the openings getting most all the way to the top with little effort, but walking the edges still put us out in the open and still hard to get close to the deer. We were pushing them. I could hear them kick out in front and see fresh sigh moving away from us.
    On the second day I heard a couple of shots above me near the top. I decided to circle around to see what they may have shot and before I got around to them I heard another shot 150 to 200 yards away. I had involitarally made a drive or push the deer to them. I meet the 2 brothers skinning out one of the does . They said that they had sat down to have lunch when I must have kicked the deer towards them and again another when I circled around.
    One of them said they hunted the Island several time with their other brother that had the boat and was off chasing down the area I had pushed the doe from. He mentioned that they don't see to many bucks before it snows.

I think if you you go after the leaves fall like I did you need you need to take a pup tent travel to the top of the mountain and wait on one of the open fields and let the lower hunters push the deer up towards you. Or go later in the year during rut or after the snow flies. When you can sit and call or have the deer congragate down around snowline. Take a raft with you after snowfalls. I've hunted the small Islands aftered the snow was down and shot several deer off the beach, but the weather is not always faverable.
    Anyway give Mike a call with Lazy Otters Charters if he's got room because after hunting Naked Island I think from now on would be prime time!!!!!!!!!
    If you go whom ever you charter with let us know how the hunt went. I'm going back next year and try my own theary.

Try Lazy Otter Charters in Whittier.
    http://www.lazyotter.com/lazyotterIE.html

Thanks for the info-
    I'm preparing for my first PWS deer hunt right now. If the weather cooperates and I can finish prepping the boat, I should be leaving next Wednesday. How much snow is out there now?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Any interest in someone to split costs, Rod?

-Brian

Sorry Brian, as much as I'd like to help out a fellow hunter and forum member, my small boat is already full. I wish you the best in your quest. I know how it is to miss a trip because of circumstances beyond your control. Good luck.

-Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

No worries - best of luck to you! Let us all know how you did when you return, and add some photos to our gallery!

-Brian