Thread: new technology

Default new technology

I was watching the outdoor channel and it seems like all the shows now are pitching these scopes that you can dial in out to 800-1000yrds. I don't like to put down all the different ways people hunt but I believe technology is starting to affect hunting in a negative way. Be it in the new 350fps bows that are accurate out to 70yrds or rangefinding scopes that put you dead on sometimes past the capabilities of the caliber bullet you are using. I remember trying to get as close as possible with my .300 just to make the safest most reliable kill without having to worry about wounding the animal. Bombing shots at animals half a mile away just doesn't seem ethical to me. All this technology seems to be making hunting too easy. I am by no means an old timer I'm in my twenties but its sad people are looking for the easiest way to get a trophy without putting in hard work to get it. Thanks for listening to me rant.... feel free to express your opinions.

Default the scope

Was it a Huskemaw scope???

Default Not New

The technology and know how is not new. What is new is the marketing to hunters. They take something that takes A LOT of practice in reading wind, ranging your target, mirage, etc., and market it that Jimbo from Alabama can take this thing out west and kill an elk at 1000 yards. Not new technology, lack of ethics.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

This is commonly heard in many activities, not just hunting. You should read some of the rants from professional photographers about how digital had allowed anyone to be a photographer, or woodworking forums about how modern tools take the skill out of woodworking. The fact is, technology let's people perform tricks, but it's no substitute for master skills. Anyone can take nice pictures with a digital camera set on auto, but not just anyone with a digital camera can get the shot time after time in difficult circumstances to suit picky clients. Anyone can produce dovetails and custom moulding on a router table, but not just anyone with a router table can produce a fine, well-proportioned, tastefully styled, tight-fitting cabinet from wood with contrary grain. Anyone can dial in a scope to 1000 yards, but not just anyone with a fancy scope can locate a legal bull, call him in, and get the meat home in grade-A shape to feed their family year after year.

It's my belief that, while there are occasionally real innovations, the primary purpose of an awful lot of "new technology," especially in the hunting and fishing arena, is to sell gadgets, and the target audience is people who want the reward without the work. A few of them get the gadgets and that gives them the motivation to do the work so they believe the gadget worked. The vast majority just blow their money on gadgets and never reap the advertised rewards, so they buy the next new gadget. Meanwhile, the people who do the work are still bringing in meat for the table with tried and true technology, hard work, and hard-earned skills.

Bottom line, I feel your frustration, but don't sweat it. Let the gadget-getters blow their money and keep on doing what's been working for you.

very well said, I'm just bitter I guess that many new hunters are seeing these shows and thinking trying to shoot things at 800yrds is the way it should be done, equipment making up for lack of skill is what its all about. It would be interesting to find out if the success rate of archery hunters has gone up thanks to all the new faster, flatter shooting bows with carbon arrows and rangefinders. I am a bowhunter and no matter what bow you use its challenging but I bet overall success has gone up with effective bow range now upwards of 45-50+ yards compared to the 20-30yards of the "average" bowhunter 20 years ago.

Default There's lies, ****ed lies, and statistics

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    very well said, I'm just bitter I guess that many new hunters are seeing these shows and thinking trying to shoot things at 800yrds is the way it should be done, equipment making up for lack of skill is what its all about. It would be interesting to find out if the success rate of archery hunters has gone up thanks to all the new faster, flatter shooting bows with carbon arrows and rangefinders. I am a bowhunter and no matter what bow you use its challenging but I bet overall success has gone up with effective bow range now upwards of 45-50+ yards compared to the 20-30yards of the "average" bowhunter 20 years ago.
    I'd bet that overall success might have gone up a bit if you look only at people who acquired new technology and actually went hunting. If you look at all the people who bought in, whether they ever used it or not, I'd bet it's gone way, way down.

I read somewhere that a long, long, looonnnggg time ago, humans on this continent had to get around on their own 2 feet, and actually hunt and haul the kill on foot. Then one day, people from another continent brought this animal here. The horse. Some of the folks on this continent learned to ride this horse and actually hunt and kill ALOT of wildlife with it. Do you think just anyone was able to get on a horse and become an instant success at hunting? Or did it take learning and skill to actually use this "new technology"?
    Whatever you think is "OK" to use for hunting, Justin, was at one time.............."new technology"
    You sure your not trying to toot your own horn, so to speak?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

well i'm not really tryin to toot my horn i dont think im the great hunter because i like to get close and i realize im not exactly hunting with a sharp stick and a rock while dressed in a loin cloth but I believe someday to preserve the sport we all obviously love we might have to draw the line before elk seeking bullets, heat seeking arrows and animal radars we set up to tell us where everything is at. I just feel things could go to far. Does anyone remember a few years back where they opened that websight where you could control a gun with your computer mouse shoot a high fenced animal and they would mail you the "trophy". I just think all this high tech stuff gives anti hunters more reason to knock the sport that it is if fact not the challenge that it was in the past. Im sure people decades ago complained about the "scope" and how easy that made it but still....

Default long shots

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    I was watching the outdoor channel and it seems like all the shows now are pitching these scopes that you can dial in out to 800-1000yrds. I don't like to put down all the different ways people hunt but I believe technology is starting to affect hunting in a negative way.
    You know how you stop and chat with other hunters you meet on foot... One time I was doing that, and mentioned to the other group what a war zone it had sounded like a few hours previously, just over "there".

A kid in his 20s responded excitedly from the group: "Yeah, I went through more than two boxes of shells! Do you know how much the bullet drop is with a 30.06 at a half mile?"

thats really funny yet kinda sad. thats all i was talking about when i started this post is that when poeple see this on hunting shows and they dont have anyone to tell them any better they might think its cool to go around doing that kind of stuff shooting at things at extreme ranges and these new scopes and bows encourage that which i believe to be fairly unethical and disrespectful to the game. where i grew up in montana it was kind of a game to see how far you could shoot at antelope well you see the results of that in eastern montana with a lot of permanently injured animals and lots of animals hit and not found or even looked for.

I always enjoy your posts martentrapper. How ever cjustinm the only way for new gadgets on scopes to work is for it to be the same caliber out of the same gun with the same powder grain and the same bullet weight. I do not reload but I understand basic bullistics. Any hunter that buys them should only use them as a guideline and not for the real. Estimating range and knowing your capabilities as a shooter are the most important tool a resposable hunter.

Robbie
    ex army sniper and mountainner instructor
    (for the reall's")
    on a side note good luck to all this year, some major seasons start soon!!!!

There is no and never will be an optical device that can be mounted on the top of a rifle that will make a person suddenly be able to shoot 800 yards effectively. The ability to hold at that distance is rare to say the least. Will the marketing confuse people into believing that it is possible, perhaps. But the same could be said about dvd's that claim to make you be able to read 5 pages per minute, or pills that will make you a "bigger" man. Will these products help someone read faster (possibly), Grow larger (probably not) or shoot better (maybe a little).
    None of them are going to be a miracle cure for any perceived deficiency.