Thread: Evinrude 88/115 retune

Default Evinrude 88/115 retune

How do i up tune an evinrude 88 hp. to a 115 hp? Restricter plate and jetting--is this what is needed, or is there more to it?

Default JKS in Anchortown

Take it J. Kimberely Services in Anchorage off Artic Blvd. They are pros with this brand motor and will make it purrr like a kitten again.
    I'm sure they will spend a few minutes with you discussing what to do if you decide to tune it up yourself though. Great guys.
    Or, pick up a manual and follow the instructions that the manufacturer reccomends.
    BK

Default Flyer-4

Others have more expertise in this area I'm sure as I am not a detuning expert. But I know a lot about Johnson/Evinrude V4s. Now with that said, if it originally was a 115 it could just be a change of throttle linkage as sometimes all that is done is restrict how far the butterflies open and that is it. The engine never makes full horsepower because it never reaches the real full throttle. Some outboards are rejetted and have different carbs too to "detune" them as you noted.

However, what I think you may mean is how to make your 88hp engine 115 hp. And, there is not any easy way to do this. Yes, the share the same powerhead and yes they share many, many parts. But with said, they are different. They have different cam profiles, sometimes different heads (if you can even really call them that), higher compression ratios, and so on.

Think of it like the difference between a 305 Chevy and a 350. The 305 and 350 both share the same block and often times even the heads are identical. How'd did it get to be a much more powerful 350? The biggest difference is the 350 has a longer stroke and a larger bore. The 350 also often sports a larger carb, different cam, and a variety of other parts.

So, if your engine was originally an 88 hp engine, it going to probably take more then just turning a couple screws to it.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Default Flyer-4

I misread your post and thought you were tuning up a 115/80 jet, my bad. T.R. Bauer on the above post is correct, sorry for that.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    So, if your engine was originally an 88 hp engine, it going to probably take more then just turning a couple screws to it.
    Don't we all wish it was that easy.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Do not play with your jets.

Bigger jets will not yield more horsepower. Jets are used to get the proper air/fuel mixture. Bigger jets will cause you to run rich and foul your plugs, they will not give you more horsepower. The only reason to mess with jetting is to fix a rich or lean condition often caused by temperature or altitude. While I don't know about this specific motor I know OMC put bigger carbs on some motors sometimes in conjunction with reed spacers and tuned exhausts to yield more horsepower. If you have a good running motor it is often more cost effective to sell it and buy a bigger motor then to try and "retune" it.