Thread: Best Grain Bullet

Question Best Grain Bullet

What would be the best grain bullet to shoot out of my 308 encore pistol? Since it has a short barrel what would be best lighter or heavier grain bullets? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    What would be the best grain bullet to shoot out of my 308 encore pistol? Since it has a short barrel what would be best lighter or heavier grain bullets? Thanks in advance.
    To do what, hunt, plink, varmints, targets? Without knowing what you want it to do at the other end there is no way to say what is best. It should shoot any ‘weight’ of bullet from 55g to 200g with the right load and bullet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My bad.......... I will be hunting with it. I plan on taking it sheep hunting this year.

For that I would see how it likes (and you like) 180g partitions. If you are thinking past 300 yards, which is not easy with a hand gun, I might play with 150s. Best luck to ya.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Best bullet for anything is very subjective ,Andy has good info , and the 308 is a very good round with many choices, My favorite is the 165 BT,The moose I shot with the 150 showed the bullet broke up one the bone, and the 180 & 190's drop pretty bad thru my encore at anything past 200.Alex

I have been shooting 150grn bullets and can shoot 1 inch groups at a 100 yards with it. I want to be able to shoot 200 yards with no problems. I will just head back out to the range and stretch her out and see how thing go from their.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I have been shooting 150grn bullets and can shoot 1 inch groups at a 100 yards with it. I want to be able to shoot 200 yards with no problems. I will just head back out to the range and stretch her out and see how thing go from their.
    Sounds like you're almost ready to go. I used to hunt with a 30/30 Contender some and for that I loaded 125 grain Ballistic Tips which may be a good choice for your Encore pistol if you haven't tried them. The issue with most bullets for the 308 is they are designed to perform at rifle velocities and you are going to be significantly slower from the 15 inch barrel. I would stay with normal bullets: Interlock, SST, Game King, Hot-Cor, Ballistic Tip, etc. These cup and core bullets will give more expansion at the impact velocities your Encore will produce and perform better than "premium" bullets on sheep sized game. Since you are getting excellent accuracy from the 150s I would not change a thing and just practice as much as possible.