Thread: 30-06, 165 grain tsx or 180 Partition

Default 30-06, 165 grain tsx or 180 Partition

Your going on a sheep/moose combo hunt.. You can take the 165 grain tsx or the 180 grain Nosler. The gun simply loves the tsx bullet, 1 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards(honest). Not so much with the noslers,5 to 6 inch groups at 200 yds. Which round are you taking on your hunt? For the moose I would sure like a 180 grain pill but I believe accuracy trumps all. Ken

The 165's..no doubt. It'll be fine for moose and you're confident in it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Another vote for the 165 TSX; you need to be able to hit the sheep at range if need be

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Your going on a sheep/moose combo hunt.. You can take the 165 grain tsx or the 180 grain Nosler. The gun simply loves the tsx bullet, 1 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards(honest). Not so much with the noslers,5 to 6 inch groups at 200 yds. Which round are you taking on your hunt? For the moose I would sure like a 180 grain pill but I believe accuracy trumps all. Ken
    I have loaded for the 30-06 for years and hunted with the Noslers and the TSX. The TSX is not that good of a preformer on game as far as quick kills in the 06. I don't like it in the 06. Also, I have never had an 06 that shoots 1/4 with any bullet at 200yds (infact only one rifle did that well) ever throw any make of other bullet into a 5-6" group at 200. You certainly have a strange situation that could be a combination of problems in hanloading on down.

Use a good 180gr Accubond, or A-Frame, Speer Hot Core which all kill quicker in the 06 than the TSX. The TSX will zip in one side and out the other and the animal will die, the question is when and how far will he go before he does.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Are those groups from the bench or field positions? I would want better than 6 inch groups at 200 yards from a benchrest for a rifle I plan to shoot in the field at that distance. The 165 TSX should perform fine on moose and sheep and according to what you have said it's the load I would carry if muzzle velocity is over 2800 fps or so.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Default Was gonna say Partition until

You said it gave you crap for groups! You shooting factory or handloads?

The 165 TSX will do fine for you. I'm personally not a fan of the TSX's, but lots use them and are happy with them. I'm sure they'll treat you fine.

Good luck.

If you are going to go 165 grains on moose TSX are probably the way to go.

Brett

We are fortunate to have so many fine bullets out there for us. Your rifle is shooting the day lights out of the 165 TSX's...choice made. It's a fine bullet, and it will get the job done. I wouldn't hesitate or have any doubts at all about whacking a moose with it.

Doc

Another vote for the TSX...

If it shoots that well out of your rifle you will have great confidence when it comes time to take the shot and with the all copper construction of the TSX you will get more than enough penetration out of the 165.

Best of luck to you.

I have never had an 06 that shoots 1/4 with any bullet at 200yds
    It says 1 1/4" I have two -06's that will do that if I do my part for 3 shot groups.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Whichever one shoots better. I think you've answered your own question.

Yes, we are talking one inch and a quarter for a three shot group with a cool barrel with the tsx, not a quarter inch.
    This gun has a personality, it likes 150 and 165 grain bullets and just really doesnt care for 180 grain Noslers. It is what it is. I dont handload so that limits me to Factory loads.
    This post went exactly like I thought it would, Since the Partition has been around for so long it has a loyal following. The Tsx round has had a few critics on the internet but yet The Tsx does have some loyal followers also. I most likely will go with the Tsx simply because it certainly does build confidence when your shooting cloverleaf groups.
    Thanks for all your thoughts, Ken

Default 180 nosler comments

I've heard several people over the years have trouble with the 30 cal 180's. I've got close to 250 factory 180's in 308 win that have been given to me over the years. I guess I'm the lucky 1 in a million, cuz my rifle will shoot them at an inch at 100, 2.5" at 200 and under 4.5" at 300. Not my best shooting choice, but much better than most I've heard of over the years.

FWIW in my 308 165 partitions have shot .317 3 shot groups @ 100, right at 2" at 300 and 4.5" at 600 yards.

The TSX will work just fine for you on thicker skinned animals. Merely a suggestion for the lighter stuff (caribou, sheep, deer) shoot the shoulders out of them. Everyone I've talked to (that I trust) that's using the TSX's on deer like game reports proper TSX performance with minimal wasted meat when they poke them in the shoulders,(sounds like partition performance in my experience) however they're not reporting the same performance on more "traditional" bullet placement. Just a thought. <disclaimer> I have ZERO experience with the TSX. Just passing on info from shooters I trust.

It's too late in the year to start load development now, but later on .....IF you're relatively close to Anchorage and decide you wanna try to 165 partitions, we can talk.