Thread: Hydration bladder or Water Bottle?

Default Hydration bladder or Water Bottle?

Your going on a sheep hunt in the Alaska range in early Sept. Are you going to take a bladder or some type of Nalgene water bottle'
    s. What are the reasons you picked your choice and what are the reasons you didnt pick the other... Pros and cons if you will.. Also what brand are you picking? I do know that top pocket on my Barneys pack just screams Hydration bladder..
    For all you people that are about to be heading out on your hunts, Best of luck and be safe. Ken, OUT

Default Both

The hydration bladder weighs ounces. Sometimes water is hard to come by. I like to fill my bladder with water then add my drink mix(Gatorade or Vitalyte) Then if I am thinking that there may not be any water for awhile I can fill my nalgene as well. Either I can add more water to my hydration bladder or it is good water for cooking. Plus if one breaks you have a back up. It is also nice to have the bladder to sip on thru the night if I wake up and am thirsty. Just my opinion.

Default Bladder!

Im a huge fan of a bladder. i stay hydrated much better with one. you can drink on the go better, its lighter, and a sort of entertainment while hiking and sipping on water. i find when i dont have a bladder on me i dont drink nearly as much water. its too big of a pain to stop and get water out of my bottle. then i chug a large amount and it sloshes around in my stomach for the next 20 min lol... but with the bladder i constantly sip out of it. with a pocket full of jolly ranchers and a hydration bladder i can walk all day lol! good luck this fall everyone!!!

Both. Bladder for moving and one or two nalgenes to fill up for the night or when headed to the top where there will be no more water for the rest of the day or couple days.

I prefer bottles. I stop enough that it isn't inconvenient to take a drink fairly often and I always know how much I have. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, just personal preference. I've never liked drinking from a straw.

Default walk slowly and constantly sip

Both are good pieces of equipment, both items have benefits.

Pros for bladder:
    walk slowly and constantly sip throughout the day is good advice in any long range endeavor but more easily facilitated with a bladder. As an archer who shoots game up close and personal the minor movement invovled in sipping through a tube is less noticeable movement than hoisting a canteen up from the belt. Of course if shooting long range boomer magnums that little bit of movement won't matter.

Cons for bladder:
    In cold weather the tube can freeze up and no amount of sux will get you a drink.

Pros for the bottle:
    Extra water storage, easier to fill and pour from

Cons for the bottle, requires a bit more effort to drink, thus drinks tend to be fewer in quantity and larger swallows

At least for me that's how it shakes out. Your results amy vary...
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

i use bottles for regular hydration. i think one stays hydrated better when using a bladder though, as you are always drinking. i just don't like filling in up, etc, bottles are easier to deal with. i have an MSR dromlite (sp?) that is 6 L in size that i can fill up on backcountry trips if i am leaving an area with water for sometime. on a backcountry trip, i will take a nalgene white bottle (not the lexan one) and a gatordade 1 L bottle. sometimes just two gatorade 1 L bottles. i usually buy them fresh and throw them away after, as they leach out chemicals if used over and over again. they are lighter than nalgene bottles and do a good job.

Default Carry both.

Consider how much water you drink while sheep hunting. Now consider a broken water container. It makes me thirsty just thinking about it. I carry a three quart bladder and a one quart Nalgene for a back up. I store miscelaneous items in the Nalgene that I rarely use.

Default Carry both.

Consider how much water you drink while sheep hunting. Now consider a broken water container. It makes me thirsty just thinking about it. I carry a three quart bladder and a one quart Nalgene for a back up. I store miscelaneous items in the Nalgene that I rarely use.

Default Bladder...

I used to use a bottle, but not a nalgene. The bottle weighs too much. I used to just grab a light 16-20 ounce bottle of water at the grocery store. It is much lighter than a nalgene bottle. I have always used the 4L Dromlite bags from MSR. They weigh almost nothing when empty and pair up perfectly with my MSR water filter. This year I added an MSR hydration bladder. Same thing, it matches up perfectly with my water filter. The bladder weighs more empty than the grocery store bottle of water, but I can drink all day without grabbing for a bottle.

Bladder pros: drink whenever you want, carry more water for drinking than the bottle of water. My bladder can hold a max of 2.5 liters, while my water bottle was something like 16 ounces (about 500ml).

Also, if you bite the valve and blow, you can fill the tube with air and prevent it from freezing. I use a camelback when riding my snowmachine and this method keeps the tube from freezing in below zero temperatures. Of course, if it does freeze, you are in trouble. I have had this happen twice. Since the amont of ice is small, you can thaw this out pretty easy.

Bladder cons: the empty bladder weighs more than the empty water bottle, but probably about the same as a 1L nalgene bottle. Of course, it is a much bigger container as well. Full, this weighs a lot, so you might not want to fill it up when you have a big uphill hike.

Bottle pros: easier to fill if you aren't using a filter, weighs less, although the container is smaller

Bottle cons: can't carry as much water, harder to get at, harder to sip at during the day. I have also experimented with different ways to carry my water bottle over the years. If it is in a cargo pocket, it gets warm from being next to my leg. Last year I tried this water bottle holder thing and hooked it to my shoulder strap. It stayed cooler and was easier to get at, but it banged into me a lot and annoyed me with its banging self.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post

Cons for bladder:
    In cold weather the tube can freeze up and no amount of sux will get you a drink.

Default Good Tricks

You have some good ideas Oakman. I really like the air trick for the snowmachine and the lightweight regular water bottle is a good idea as well.

I have found when snowmachining route your camel back hose under your arm by your stomach. Over the shoulder is too exposed. With the neoprene hose cover this usual works down to at least 0 deg. Below 0 I just stuff the hose into the bag with the bladder and throw a couple of hand warmers in the bag too if it starts to slush on you, and wear it under your coat. Yes, this means to get a drink you have to take your coat off and fish the hose out at -40deg, but at least you have water.