Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nutzotin Mountains for sheep

  1. #1
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Nutzotin Mountains for sheep

    I have had a rather abrupt and unexpected change in my sheep hunting plans for this year and will be going into the Nutzotin Mountains. This is an area that I am unfamiliar with and would appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone familiar with this area would like to share. Please feel free to PM me if this would be a more appropriate format for any intel, recommendations, or advice you wish to share. I will be hunting north of the Chisana River and south of Stone Creek, probably in the Copper Creek drainage. Thank you in advance and good luck to all chasing sheep.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    49

    Default sent PM

    Give me a call.

  3. #3

    Default Call me

    Jim,

    I'll give you a ring tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Thanx to everyone for your recommendations, insight from prior experience, and suggestions.

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    Anyone of the drainages along the Chisana will get you into really good sheep. The one you have chosen has always produced some good rams. The grizzlies get good sized in that area as well. Best of all, the access is some of the easiest in the Wrangells. You can get there (close) by boat or plane, for very little money. For the guys hunting on a budget, I doubt you could find one much cheaper, other than walking in or four wheeler areas. I would predict you will do exceptionally well. Good luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    There goes the neighborhood.....lol.

  7. #7

    Default

    The Chisana River area and the area along the Nebezna River are a couple of the remaining really good Sheep Hunting spots left, that you can get to easy, and don't need a draw permit. If you are going to hunt by cub, it is a short flight. If you want to get to base camp from a boat, the very best way is to launch at Northway Village and leave your tow vehicle at the FAA Station. It is a short run to the sheep. Easily done and not too many people don't do it, cause they look at the map and think it all looks so flat from out there, that they don't even consider it as a viable starting point to go sheep hunting. By boat, on either river, you can see rams from the river. Course you have to walk up the hill to shoot them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •