Thread: Upper Susitna/Indian River

Default Upper Susitna/Indian River

Does anyone know if there is any winter access to the Indian River area other than the AK RR. I know the flagstop train makes it pretty easy to get in there during the summer but I think that train only runs once a month in the winter. Can you snowmachine safely up the Susitna from Talkeetna. Are there any trails that would get you in there off the Parks Highway. Thinking about getting some land up there but worried about winter access.

It's a hell of a ride no matter which way you go. I've been there overland and up the river. Overland requires a bunch of snow and some years there is not enough to get a good trail in. I've only been through in March. Up the river doesn't happen until well into January in most cases to freeze up the entire route. Some years it just doesn't happen.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Iíve been to Indian Rv. several times by ATV and snowmobile, I never thought it was that hard to do. Crossing Indian Rv. by the tram could be a problem.

How do you get in there by ATV, where is the overland trail?

There were three different trails, one about a mile south of RR crossing, another one was ľ mile north of RR crossing and the 3rd one about a mile north of RR crossing in a gravel pit.
    That was a long time ago so things may have change.

When you say south of the railroad crossing do you mean the railroad crossing off the Parks at around mile 169?

With out looking at a map, YES