Thread: Boat Rental in Homer

Default Boat Rental in Homer

Well as scary as it is, some friends of mine and I have opened Homer Boat Rentals, LLC. We have a brand new 22' Hewescraft Ocean Pro with a 150 Yamaha that is available for daily rentals to experienced boaters only. Take a look www.homerboatrentals.com. there was nobody here that rented them (maybe for good reason) and so we are taking a chance. If you need a boat for a day of fishing, or exploring give us a call.

Default Great -

That is great to hear, having rented boats in Whittier and Valdez - another option is very good to have.

I wish I heard about this before, just got back from a Homer Halibut charter and paid through the nose for a boat ride, and tiny fish. Next time I will be using you. Thanks for the option.

Awesome....Great website too.

So just out of curiosity.....Just how do you determine an experienced boater before you rent that beauty out?

First question you should ask is.....Are you a member of the Alaska Outdoor Forum and have you posted anything in the Alaska Power Boating section in the last month?

Second question you should ask is...Can you swim? Because if you mess up my boat, you better not come back to the harbor.

Best wishes and I hope you do well,
    AMH

Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

good luck, hope you have a good insurance policy.

Yikes! Renting a boat to people to fish the ocean sounds like trouble. An FNG heading out with the tides and weather the way they are sounds like a disaster. What happens when they get caught in the rips out by Pogi??

Default Why

Why is it so risky? They have insurance. The renter is responsible for damage and signs wavers etc.

The rentees will know the days weather and will only let you go out during xyz conditions.

It is great opportunity for people to DIY on the Salt. I rented 1 time last year and will rent 3 times this year. Valdez and Whittier have them - and now Homer.

He just needs to work up the clientell and then get more boats!

The potential for disaster is there, that is why it is scary. Apparently the last guy that rented in Homer lost his boat when some bear hunters tried to take it into a beach and got sideways to the surf and rolled it. We talked about the risks and do have insurance and a hell of a waiver/renter's agreement...lawyers, lawyers lawyers. Like renting an aircraft we have a little check-out ride, you can pretty much tell if a person knows what he is doing within the first 5 minutes in the harbor. But we are also realists, stuff will happen, people just don't take care of rental equipment like their own, but we have had a lot of interest and our first two rentals this last weekend. We want to get the process down before investing in another boat.

Thumbs up Oh Man!! You beat me to it.

I had the idea of starting a rental shop there in Homer at the begining of the summer but had to get my finances in order this year and was hoping to do it next year. Congrats on your new place and hope you do very well with it, I know the market is there. Especially once word of mouth starts getting around. Maybee there will be enough of a market for some competition in the future. Good luck.

Default Comparison...

No different than a small time rental car business. People wreck them, run them off the road.

Least with his option of renting to experienced boaters he can sleep better at night....those of us on the road have to choice to but to be surrounded by idiots who can't drive
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default Best of Luck

I am moving up to Anchorage at the end of this month and have been watching various forums but never posted before...so here goes for my 2 cents, as a retired Coastie, search and rescue pilot that has flown out of Kodiak please send your folks with an epirb/406 beacon...having fished out of Alaska for the last 27 years and several times down in Homer, (It's one of the first questions I always ask when I go out)...I hope to come down and visit your operation and pick your expertise for a few tips after I get settled...Best of luck on your new adventure...

the 406 epirb is on order. waiting to get the registration to get our coast guard safety inspection. But the business is up and running, good reviews so far on the boat.