Thread: Pocket Pistol or "Mouse Gun"

Default Pocket Pistol or "Mouse Gun"

I am just curious if anyone has found a great cheap little .22 or .22 short to carry around for those surprise grouse opportunities? I know Beretta makes the little bobcat and Smith makes a scandium framed airweight. I would like to find something cheap that would launch a subsonic 22 short with enough accuracy to knock over a grouse or squirrel. Under a pound and preferably closer to 1/2 pound so that I might be tempted to actuall toss it in the pack.

Man thatís some big boots to fill, All the small light 22s I have shot would be hard pressed to hit a grouse at ten feet. You may have some luck with something like a double barrel brake open derringer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Man thatís some big boots to fill, All the small light 22s I have shot would be hard pressed to hit a grouse at ten feet. You may have some luck with something like a double barrel brake open derringer.
    LOL no kidding, i have a SW md2214

it fits neatly in my back pocket and i have to lay down nearly at eyeball level of a bird to hit it... put any elevation to it at all... and seems all bets are off. so you can make a game of spotting, and diving for cover to get him....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've played with the 3" AS Airweight a fair bit in the past and I'm pretty confident it would fit the bill (or closer than most of what's out there). It was pretty good out to 25 yards surprisingly. They now come with a little coarser fiber optic front site. My sample had a plain black blade.

I can't think of any other .22 that would fit the bill. A Browning lightweight is still over 2 lbs and most of the small autos (Walthers little .22 might be the exception but I haven't shot one yet) are pretty sketchy for that kind of shooting. I believe "Tactical Solutions" or some such makes a lightweight upper for the Ruger and Browning autos- I ultimately decided they were too much trouble for too little benefit in my case. YMMV.

The Bobcat I owned in the past would probably do better thrown rather than fired at a grouse.

I had a Ruger 4" SP101 and it did that kind of shooting great but it weighed what a .357 would- so I didn't continue the practice.

I wish someone would resurrect the old Gaucher GN in a lighter weight design- single shot, 12" barrel and very good adjustable sights. I can't imagine how light you could make one with the exotic materials available now. I don't think a repeater would give you any advantage at all- especially a barky little auto or a DA trigger with a 12lb pull.

this looks interesting... http://www.naaminis.com/bwmm.html

10.7 oz w/ adjustable sights.

Non adjustable sights but only 8.7 oz http://www.northamericanarms.com/EARL.html

I use to shoot a mini-revolver quite a bit (several thousand times). I know it sounds crazy, but had it as a novelty and really enjoyed shooting the thing. It shot better than you would expect with a barrel just over an inch long & crude sights. I suspect the longer sight radius in these revolvers and the adjustable sights would get you into regular first shot hits at 50-75 feet on grouse, ptarmigan & squirrels. The minis I used were pretty well made and were very serviceable. I finally got rid of it to a guy that just had to have it, but I would buy from NAA and expect good results.

You could always get an LCP and get the crimson trace laser for it....just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am just curious if anyone has found a great cheap little .22 or .22 short to carry around for those surprise grouse opportunities? I know Beretta makes the little bobcat and Smith makes a scandium framed airweight. I would like to find something cheap that would launch a subsonic 22 short with enough accuracy to knock over a grouse or squirrel. Under a pound and preferably closer to 1/2 pound so that I might be tempted to actuall toss it in the pack.
    I've got the Bobcat, and it's cute as a bug and reliably cycles shorts, as well as CB caps. But accurate enough for grouse shooting? In my dreams. I'm betting I could make body shots out to 15 feet or so, but head shots? Maybe 5 feet.

I don't have it here, and evidently my mind has a gas bubble in that particular spot, but my little Smith semi made by Walther (P-22?) is another story altogether. No, it won't cycle shorts, but accurate? Whooeee! I've regularly made head shots on cottontails in the Southwest out to around 20 yards.

If you want cute, get the Bobcat. If you want to hit anything with it, get the Smith. The Smith is so much fun to shoot and easy to carry, I put K's of rounds through mine every year. I put a few clips through the Bobcat once or twice a year just cuzz, but it's mostly a noise maker in my hands or those of any of the other experienced handgun shooters who have tried mine.

I have a belt buckle that holds a .22 Magnum made by Freedom Arms.

The gun you need is the old stevens single shot target pistol. Deadly accurate and very light. It came with a few different barrel lengths. I think someone is making a replica of it now.

Default try one of these

I would try the little Walther p22 , or a Berreta neos with 4 1/2 inch barrell !
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

Probably not real cheap or as lightweight (17 oz ?) as you would probably like, I've had my Beretta mod 70 22 lr for ? 30 yrs. Can put it in a vest/hip pocket, theres no problem knocking off grouse at 15 yds +. Accuracy/dependability are 5 star. Can carry one in the chamber, like the ol 1911, optional anyway.
    Israel's sky marshals carried these for a while, and of course the mossad had a very specific use for them too.

Default Not real cheap...

but you might consider the little Ruger Bearcat. Follow up shots ALWAYS go bang in a revolver.
    Went out with the grandkids and fooled around with the Wife's little revolver as well as my S&W Kit Gun, using the Aguila 'Super Colibri' rounds, and the 60 gr. SSS. The heavy bullets have more muzzle blast, and over-penetrate, and also need a faster twist than these revolvers give, but the little bullet load with no powder shot surprisingly well, out to 50 feet or so, staying on soda cans......

This isn't exactly what you were asking, but,...

Will you be carrying a rifle? I make very light loads for my rifles to shoot grouse with. a .310" round ball w/ 3 grs Unique in a 30-30. Makes about as much noise as a standard vel (not high vel) 22 LR, and kills grouse and bunnies very dead without tearing them up. I also load a .350" round ball w/ 4 grs Red Dot in the .348 with similar results. .457" round balls or "collar button" bullets w/ 6 1/2 grs Unique in 45-70 works well also. Any rifle could have extra light loads made up. Lead bullets seem best for unltra light loads, they can be run pretty slow and not stick in the bore. I leave the magazine loaded always with regular loads, and single load the light rounds.

The Bearcat may be one of the better small .22's going, if they fit your hand. The grip is pretty small. I like the Smith K-22 if carrying a .22. Sometimes carry it, and the centerfire pisol, and rifle.

I used to own one of those NA revolvers. I think it was called the Black Widow and it came with two cylinders, one in standard .22 and one for .22 mag. Accuracy was impressive with the limiting factor being who was shooting it. I would bet it was capable of 2 inch groups at 25 yards or better if you locked it in a Ransom rest. But stupid me sold it for some other lost project.
    Been kicking around the idea to buy another for awhile now as I really miss carrying it in the day pack when big game hunting. Not sure of the price but think they can be bought with both cylinders for under $300.
    Tennessee