Thread: PWS Last Week

Default PWS Last Week

After a year of research and planning I finally made it happen.

We spent 6 nights camped out on Culross Island. The whole week was foggy, rainy and windy with a few windows of opportunity to get out and fish. We didn't do so bad for a bunch of salt water rookies on a DIY trip. We rented the Katie Lynn from Whittier Boat Rental, which worked out great.

We got into some halibut... and hit the silvers just as they arrived at main bay.

I got a lot of info from this forum, I'd just like to say thanks!

More pics

Thumbs up Camping

That camp photo looks like Hidden Bay on the East side of Culrose. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Nice fishes!

PWS is beautiful, we spent last weekend in seward , but love whittier. It is so majestic out there, more protection from big waters and it almost makes you think your on a lake in some areas. How big of boat was it that you used?

Sounds like your reasearch and planning paid off, glad to see your picts, cool stuff!

'Cruising guide to prince william sound' is an awsome book to get your hands on for that area.

Thumbs up We were wet too!!

My wife and I spent last Saturday to Saturday in the Sound, and I will attest to the moisture content in the air. We slept on the boat every where from Esther Passage down to Graystone Bay. I love it a little more when its dry, but would not give up even one of the rainy days. Great shrimping, so-so fishing. Heading out next week hoping to ambush some of those silvers that we could not seem to find last week.

Doug, We were camped out on the west side just south of Goose Bay.

Muzzlebreak, We rented a 26'.

Tried some Halibut last night for the first time. Holy cats! Let me just say Walleye USED TO BE my favorite fish to eat.

Great pictures and a nice tease of the story of your trip. If you may have a mind to, I'm sure myself and others would like to see/hear more of the details.

Thanks much for the report. It seems lots of folks ask for advise/info but then after their trip not much is heard. Their reports would be much appreciated by those of us still in the trip planning stage. Thanks for maybe being the exception.

- Jay

Thumbs up See it

Quote Originally Posted by Auger View Post
    Doug, We were camped out on the west side just south of Goose Bay.

Muzzlebreak, We rented a 26'.

Tried some Halibut last night for the first time. Holy cats! Let me just say Walleye USED TO BE my favorite fish to eat.
    Oh yea. I can see the Y island that splits Goose Bay in the backround! Great pics!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Great pictures and a nice tease of the story of your trip. If you may have a mind to, I'm sure myself and others would like to see/hear more of the details.

Thanks much for the report. It seems lots of folks ask for advise/info but then after their trip not much is heard. Their reports would be much appreciated by those of us still in the trip planning stage. Thanks for maybe being the exception.

- Jay
    Ah yes, the details. This might get a little long winded... Bare with me, I'm not a writer by any means.

Flew into Anchorage on Friday afternoon, got a hotel shuttle to the Diamond Center Hotel. Finally We're in Alaska! I chose this hotel because of it's close proximity/walking distance to Wallmart, Sams Club and Sportsmans Warehouse. We split up into groups and hit these stores buying up all of our supplies. Later that night we made foil dinners (hamburger, potatoes, brats, ham....) for almost every dinner. We figured foil dinners would be easy to cook in the camp fire.

A few weeks before we arrived in Alaska I contacted The Alaskan Transportation Group to make reservations for a shuttle service. They would pick us up from the hotel at 7:30am on Saturday, drive us Whittier. When our trip was done they would pick us up from Whittier and drop us off at the Airport in anhcorage. Total cost of this was $70 per person, round trip.

We arrive in Whittier at 8:45am on Saturday. Go over the boat details with David and Brad from Whittier Boat Rental, buy some extra gear in town and shove off.

I had planned on setting up camp in Eshamy Bay but we decided it might be cool to make camp at two different places so we set up in Culross Passage. It was raining pretty good so we scrambled to get our tents and a cooking are setup. With bears in mind we made sure our cooking area was a few hundred yards away from our tents. After everything was set we tried like hell to start a good cooking fire but everything was soaked. We did it but that would be the only night we had a fire. We cooked most of our food on the stove in the boat.

Sunday and monday were pretty windy so we trolled around the south end of the passage, explored, dropped anchor in a few spots and ended up catching a few cod.

Woke up tuesday to more rain. We had planned to move camp to Eshamy but most of our gear was soaked and we didn't want to make it worse, so our camp stayed on Culross the rest of the week. After breakfast we headed to Perry Island. Bounced around a few spots that I had researched and hit some spots that were marked on the GPS. We caught rock fish in every spot and picked up one halibut. My research said the silvers should be just arriving at the south end of Culross so later that afternoon we trolled and jigged the area. Nothing.

Wed morning, more rain but no wind, sweet! We Decided to head back to Whittier so we could gas up the boat and drop the fish off at Fee's Custom Seafood. I talked to Brad from the boat rental place and he said he was out near Culross searching for silvers also. He didn't catch anything Either. We headed out of Whittier around noon headed for Main Bay. There were about 5 boats in front of the Main Bay. I wasn't sure what was going on, were they fishing for halibut or silvers. We dropped anchor, jigged for silvers and setup a few halibut poles. We ended up with one halibut and no silvers. After a few hours we headed over to Eshamy, dropped anchor again and ended up with one really nice silver and a Halibut that was around 65-68lbs (going by the tide book).

Thursday even more rain and fog. Thursday was going to be our day to check out some glaciers but with all the fog I figured we'd be better off fishing. We checked the weather report and they were calling for 15-35 MPH winds "later in the day". I wanted to head to Knight Island but wasn't sure when "later in the day" was. I didn't want to get stuck out there so Main Bay was our new Destination. We hammered the silver jigging Point Wilson Darts. Bam, Bam, Bam one after another, what a blast. The sun even showed up for a few minutes.

Woke up friday morning, headed back to Whittier, dropped our fish off at Fees. Our shuttle didn't pick us up till 4:30 and Fees had our fish packaged and frozen by 3 so it worked out perfect.

Before we left for alaska I packed a cooler with gear and one empty bag. At the end of the trip I put the gear in the empty bag and filled the cooler with fish.

The weather was a bit of a downer but we worked through it, caught fish and had a blast.

Aug

Rain or not, as long as the water holds safe for small craft, PWS is still a killer trip. By far the best place I like to fish/camp.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Rain or not, as long as the water holds safe for small craft, PWS is still a killer trip. By far the best place I like to fish/camp.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'll be back for sure, rain or shine.

Thanks for all the great details and information. Very good job planning, and pulling off a good trip.

Thumbs up True

PWS is one of my favorite places to hang out. A sportsmanís true paradise - thanks for sharing the photos.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

What a great trip you guys had!!! For being salt water rookies you guys did great nailing some great halibut and fatty silvers. Thanks for sharing your adventures.