Thread: Tipping

Default Tipping

Do you guys tip a pilot on a fly in hunt when they are the owner/operator?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I've never been flown out, but I have used other transportation services, and sometimes it is a nice gesture. So me folks think it is a mandatory gesture, me I would base that on the quality of service.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Wink

You don't tip someone for doing a job that they love doing. Tipping is reserved for the drudgery jobs, like laundry, barkeeper, store clerk and car salesmen. None of the folks I run with expect tips for what they do. But it is your money, you should be the one to make the call, as to how to spend it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default tipping

I did tipped our pilot last years sheep hunt, one hind quarter, he was so happy. He said no one likes to give up their sheep meat.

I guess it depends, if they are just doing their job and nothing more. But if the pilot is willing to fly around a while to help you out, then it might be considered.

Default Ownder

I always tip pilots when they work for an outfit, but in my mind the owner/operator is different. They are getting all the profit anyway. Maybe my thinking is wrong?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I have never tipped the pilot on any of my fly out hunts and they still came back and picked me up after my hunt was over.

Default No tips.

Never tipped a pilot before either. I suppose if they went out of thier way and really worked to put you on game then it could be a possibility. Otherwise, you are already paying them for thier service!!
    AKRES, you tip your car salesman??
    BK

Actually never really thought about it! I have never tipped my air taxie pilot to date but do not think it would be unreasonabel if he/she did something extrodinary or I wanted to especially go out of my way to show my gratitude. Not usually done....but not contraindicated if perceived appropriate and warrented.

I know that you should tip your fishing charter captain! As far as flights go, I've felt like tipping on a schelduled flight from JNU after things got hairy and we made it home safe. If you made it safe through rough weather, I think a tip is in order.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I think if i tipped the pilot it would be a gift rather then cash.... i would be lost on how much$$$ to hand over but a nice quality Knife,,, or other... i think would be a nice gesture...????( on the way home of course)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Knife?

Vince,
    Your pilot may, or may not, enjoy that gift of a nice high quality knife. But he might just throw it in the drawer with all the other high quality and custom knifes he has received in the last 25 years.

I do tip the air transporters "worker bee" expediter dude with cash.
    Perhaps I'll start passing out them knifes in the top drawer.

dennis

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Vince,
    Your pilot may, or may not, enjoy that gift of a nice high quality knife. He will probably throw it in the drawer with all the other high quality and custom knifes he has received in the last 25 years.

I do tip the air transporters "worker bee" expediter dude with cash.
    Perhaps I'll start passing out them knifes in the top drawer.

dennis
    lol NOTE taken!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Blackfoot a tipper?

Blackfoot's so cheap, I bet he's never tipped! heh heh....

I have tipped the pilots. Even if they are owner operators, as they still have to pay for the plane and fuel and upkeep, the extra dollars I'm sure help, and if they did a great job, why not? I tip the lodges I stay at a lot more..... lol!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Denali Hunter

I may be cheap but I win the guns:-) I'm sure you tip the lodges cause they provide service you could only dream of, ha. I'm heading out for sheep in a week and can't seem to pass the time quick enough!!

Default Ouch!

Nice one Blackfoot! I should know better then try to zing you.... Glad you finally put enough pennies together to get a plane this time. That walking for 40 miles for sheep you normally do is brutal.

Good Luck on your hunt! Maybe you can get one bigger then mine this time!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Moose

I just hope I get to see Bob's moose this year!!! I've got somebody to help me pack this time, so I won't have to let that gigantic bodied 48" ram go this time:-)