Thread: to all you guys headed out...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default to all you guys headed out...

Well for the greatest part the season opens in 7 days . many of you guys are about ready to jump on the mountain and go...

i wanted to say good luck, be careful and may you all make it home to tell us your stories...

this last weekend is a good reminder for me as to why i do not sheep hunt, my leg and ankle are so swollen i can barley walk... (mine does it from over use) i will be fine i afew days but the pain is still the reminder..

our smallest decisions can set the stage for cataclysmic events to unfold. or none at all...

look twice, shoot straight. keep you feet under you at all times...

be careful

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Vince,
    Pain and inability to walk is no reason to not hunt Sheep. I have landed with folks that had enphseima, asthma, fused spine, wooden leg and even one guy with one arm, on the ridge tops and have them sit in camp on some good trails. The sheep travel the ridges and then they shoot them. Someone needs to be along to help with the skinning and boning, but it is entirely possible. Sheep have bad habits of making the same rounds over and over. They are very predictable.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Vince,
    Pain and inability to walk is no reason to not hunt Sheep. I have landed with folks that had enphseima, asthma, fused spine, wooden leg and even one guy with one arm, on the ridge tops and have them sit in camp on some good trails. The sheep travel the ridges and then they shoot them. Someone needs to be along to help with the skinning and boning, but it is entirely possible. Sheep have bad habits of making the same rounds over and over. They are very predictable.

LOL oh yeah... thats me right there...

there is the easy way....

the hard way.....

and the way i wind up doing it.....

Na it is the rock and climing that i have a hard time with... my right foot and ankle were crushed 16 years ago.... it is not that i can NOT, DO IT.. but would spend 1/2 a trip stove up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

"A man's gotta know his limitations".

There is another way. The "Smart" way.

You can be a John Wayne or any other bad boy, but not for very long.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Ditto....

Thanks Vince, and the same to those heading out with me. Good luck and see ya in the mountains. My trip begins wed morning!

Default Thanks

I look forward to this time all year long every year, I like to hunt goats, bears and moose...but sheep is just some kind of special to me, I know I won't get to do it when I get older either.

Hope to see a nice one in "Ram Alley"

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Thanks Vince, I can't wait to show off my pics and to see everyone else's . Just hope the fires stop and the smoke clears. Luck all!

Default headin to the brooks.

Heading North tommorow, be in the field the 7th, have 2 rams located by the 10th, and seal the deal the same day!! Good luck to all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Best of luck guys!

Heading out with a group of guys and hoping they have success as well as the rest of us! Looking forward to hitting the mountains!

Thumbs up

Good luck to all of you up on the mountains! Look forward to reading your hunt reports and seeing all the pics this fall.

It will be interesting to see what happens with all this smoke. It's even smokey in the Brooks and up to Prudhoe. I think the whole state is smokey. It's real bad here in Fairbanks today.

look at the bright side of it. all....

no need for santa's smoke house!! smoked sheep and moose on the hoof this year all...

meet on face book here

Default Heading out in a few hours...

Unpacked and repacked to make sure I have everything, weather looks good and the forecast for next week looks positive, gonna comb the mountainsides, should have my main camp set up tonight, for a long trek in the morning and perhaps Sunday...going deep, God help me!!!!

Best of luck to all....BE safe!

Default Smoke

I just got back from my goat hunt. The gear is laid out and drying. I've started cleaning and the repairing has quickly begun. Now I've got a huge, wonderful pile of meat from a 9.5 yr old Billy my wife shot to butcher and a hide to run to the tannery. Then I fly out on Monday for sheep. I'll start a seperate thread tommorrow with a story and photos from a most wonderful goat hunt. I'll need to sit down with some time to work on it.

We even had smoke issues here in SE for our goat hunt.

Good luck everyone. Be safe and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I just got back from my goat hunt. The gear is laid out and drying. I've started cleaning and the repairing has quickly begun. Now I've got a huge, wonderful pile of meat from a 9.5 yr old Billy my wife shot to butcher and a hide to run to the tannery. Then I fly out on Monday for sheep. I'll start a seperate thread tommorrow with a story and photos from a most wonderful goat hunt. I'll need to sit down with some time to work on it.

We even had smoke issues here in SE for our goat hunt.

Good luck everyone. Be safe and take your time.
    first success story of the season? hmmm what kinda prize is there for that???????

meet on face book here

Default It's a good one too

I can't wait to post it. My wife is a great photographer and shot. One bullet from a 25-06 put this big boy down for the count. Hold tight.......I want to do it right.