Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle choice for daughter

Default Rifle choice for daughter

I know this could probably go in the hunting forum too but I thought I would get better responses on this forum. I am buying a hunting rifle for my 11 yr old daughter and have narrowed it down to either a 260 REM or a 7mm-08. I am leaning more towards the 7mm-08. She will be hunting caribou, blackies and maybe moose. Any help with this choice?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I know this could probably go in the hunting forum too but I thought I would get better responses on this forum. I am buying a hunting rifle for my 11 yr old daughter and have narrowed it down to either a 260 REM or a 7mm-08. I am leaning more towards the 7mm-08. She will be hunting caribou, blackies and maybe moose. Any help with this choice?

Either! I love the 260, and the 7mm-08, and the 308 equally (had to fit the 308 in there). I like the 160 grain roundnose bullets for the 260........moose slayer! The 7-mm08 with 170+ grain bullets......just a touch bit more. The 308 with 110 grain target loads n military brass..........CHEAP TARGET PRACTICE...........then of course ahem......180 grainers avail. all over the place for the actual shot.

Your caliber choices are perfect. Now take her rifle shopping and give her the luxury of picking out the rifle she likes best
    Tennessee

My daughter is 10, almost 11. Tall and skinny, 76 pounds 5 feet tall. She loves to shoot. I started her a couple years ago with a Browning semi 22LR that my dad gave my back in 74'.

A few months ago I got her into bolt rifles with a .204 Ruger. Once she had it down and felt invincible she asked if she could shoot my .308. I loaded up twenty 155gr loads for her but it's a bit much at this time. I think a .243 or the 7mm-08 shot from the same case would be a good usable rifle for a young hunter.

I have a 67 year young Uncle in Homer that only has 2 rifles, a .243 and a 7mmRM. He has taken all but browns with his .243 over the past 40 years. The 7mmRM was purchased for long Elk and Ram shots.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/.243_Winchester

http://wapedia.mobi/en/7mm-08_Remington

Wink

You can't really go wrong with either choice. If you reload then I would select the 260, if you shoot factory ammo I would choose the 7mm-08. I've little experience with the 260, but I've been using a 6.5X55 Swed for years and they are ballistic twins, 140 grain @ 2750 fps. A 140 grain .264 at 2750 will kill anything in AK and do it with less recoil than a 7mm-08. The 140 will out penetrate the 160 in the 260 and again there is less recoil in the 140. For game under 300 lbs the 120-129 grain bullets are ideal and will again produce less recoil and a flatter trajectory than the 140. I use (rather my wife is using it now) 140 grain Hornady Interlocks and know from experience that unless big bear is on the agenda there are no worries with the .264 bullets in penetration and killing ability.

However, the 260 is not very popular and there are few choices in factory ammo. 7mm-08 is more widely available and there is decent selection from ammo companies--I know Federal loads 5 different bullets in the 7mm-08 so you can find a load for anything you are likely to hunt in the 7mm-08 quite easily. It does have a bit more recoil than the 260, but it is still a great cartridge for your daughter. In fact these 2 cartridges are nearly ideal for NA hunting regardless who you are and you will not have to upgrade her after she grows up.

and if she finds a pink color stock for it buy it...and yest they do make pink color rifle stocks
    my brother larry littlest one has one on her rifle and i just look at her and say it that a little hard to hide out there in the brush ,,
    she just changes it out for the black all weather one that she had for hunting.she use it to make the guys mad at the range when
    goes and target pratice with her rifle and outshoots them for fun

Default 7mm08 +1

Only because of availability of factory ammo.

If you're a reloader, then I'd say let her decide based on "feel" of the rifle.

Buy an extra stock for it now. Chop one to fit her with a decellerator or simms pad. Keep the chunk of stock as you can pin it and use it as a spacer over her growing years. As she grows into a full sized stock... put the brand new on on it and away she goes.

It is possible to do it and have it very hard to tell that it's been done.

Did this very thing for my daughter years ago. She got mad when I put the pretty new stock on her rifle and made me change it back. She appreciated the work I'd done and there was (is) memories in that hunk of wood.

I already brought her shopping once for them and she fit a regular length stock fine, she didn't need a youth stock. I do reload and that is why I was leaning more to the 7mm-08, especially with all the .308 Win brass I already have. Another problem I will have to work on with her is that she is right-handed but left eye dominant. And as for colors, I finish my own firearms so I could do whatever pattern or color she chooses, she hates pink..lol. Thanks for all the input.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

m82a1

Semper Fi!

6.5 or .260. I'd worry about the recoil from a 7mm-08. It's not much and it may not be a problem, but then again I'm not shooting it. It may be too much for her. How big is she? .25-06 wouldn't be bad either.

Brett

Another problem I will have to work on with her is that she is right-handed but left eye dominant.
    Interesting scenario. If she was shooting a hand gun I would say switch hands. Since it's a rifle and a scope is most likely going to be used, I don't think she'll have a problem.

Perhaps a gunny will chime in and set the record straight.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Left handed shooting

Another problem I will have to work on with her is that she is right-handed but left eye dominant.
    Let her try shooting left handed. I often practice with both left and right just in case an odd shot presents itself. Once you train yourself to do so, it is real easy and a good skill to have. I have often had white tail deer approach on my right from behind.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I already brought her shopping once for them and she fit a regular length stock fine, she didn't need a youth stock. I do reload and that is why I was leaning more to the 7mm-08, especially with all the .308 Win brass I already have. Another problem I will have to work on with her is that she is right-handed but left eye dominant. And as for colors, I finish my own firearms so I could do whatever pattern or color she chooses, she hates pink..lol. Thanks for all the input.
    already been said... put it on her left shoulder..

my 13yr old is same way... and WOW!!!!! can she shoot now with her bow and browning a bolt in 270.... i would love to find a nice lefty rifle for her but she has got the one down pat for now... it made ALLLLLLL the difference... and will take here about 10 min to learn to work the bolt backwards....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Always instill good habits first and foremost

My wife is the same......Right handed, left eyed dominant. These type of folks are some of the finest off hand shooters I've ever seen (naturally). I've instucted hundreds of soldiers at the range.....these oppososite dominance shooters always seem to shoot very well. Right off the bat.....they will be holding the rifle steady with their most coordinated, strong, and steady hand and arm. Let that dominant eye choose the stance first and foremost.......don't be confused about her right handed ways.....only matters for writing........not rifles. Good luck....although that lil gal won't need it.....she'll prob outshoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    m82a1

Yeah! What this guy sez!

Seriously, pass on the 7mm. Get her a .243, take it to a gunsmith and have it cut down for her. Load your own with some good monometal bullets and let her shoot for the heart. She'll dig the lack of recoil, be able to tell her friends she's shooting a "big rifle", she'll put meat on your table, and best of all...she will have fun.

P.S. I am left eye dominant right hand, almost bi-handed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Rifle for your daughter

I just returned from Sportsmans where I picked up a Weatherby VG that comes with two stocks ( 1 youth and the adult one) and I got the 7mm-08 for my daughter for only $524.00 and a 5% military discount. A friend of mine has his FFL and his cost for the rifl is $503.00 plus shipping so after the discounts it is cheaper to spend my money here in the state.

Just my .02

Thank you
    Moose

Default yet another opinion....

With you being a reloader, stick to the 7mm08 over the 243. You already know you can run light bullets and light load it to get her started and work her up to full tilt heavier bullets.

If you were stuck with factory loads, I'd probably agree with the 243.

I loaded some 125 grain spitzers @ about 2550 for a friends 12 y/o for a deer hunt. Not normally thought of as a "deer" bullet, unless you slow them down. The boy's first buck took my 125 grainer just behind the last rib and angled forward through the off side shoulder joint and was recovered under the hide. I'd prefer to have complete penetration, but with a 30 yard recovery and it retained 91.2 grains I won't complain.

I've shot these loads in the past and they are comparable to a 100+ grain 243 in recoil.

Point is, the 7mm08 with 120's can be made to recoil like a 243. Yet gives the ability to step up and run with the big girls with a 150 grainer pushing 2800 or maybe even a 160 @ 2650 to 2700.

That's what I was thinking since I reload, I can work the loads for her. Also, since she's still young we can fool around and see if she shoots better left or right handed or what is more comfortable because of her being left eye dominant. I'll just take her out and let her shoot to see what she likes best and work from there, don't want to force her into something she isn't comfortable with.

Another vote for the 7-08. As a handloader you can dial it down to milder than a 243 with 120 gr loads, and just as important less muzzle blast. And on the other end it'll do everything the 7X57 mauser will do, which covers all of our ungulates.

I ended up getting my son a .243, though I wanted to get him a 7-08. We visited a few gunshops and he shouldered various rifles. As much as I like Rugers, they put short barrels on their youth rifles, which equates to more muzzle blast. His favorite rifle of the ones he handled was the Rem 700 sps youth, and the only chambering they had was in .243.

After reading the thread, if I was a more serious handloader I would have probably gotten my daughter 7-08 and built rounds for her. Since I'm not she shoots a .243 rather well and I have confidence in her shooting caribou and black bears at less than 100 yards. She is going to shoot her brothers .270 on Friday to see if she likes it for her cow moose tag. If not, she's going with her .243.

If you aren't a handloader (to all the other dads ) It's really a good thing to spend the money and work the way up the gun ladder. By starting near a .223 or .243 you help them get used to the noise and mild recoil. Then slowly move up the ladder to the larger cartridges. The kids will enjoy it much more and the dreaded "flinch" may not develope. I also let my kids decide when to move up. Kat wants to shoot the .270...I didn't tell her she had to shoot one. If she likes it I might just get her one of her own and pass the .243 down the ladder to the younger sister.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast