Thread: Outboard Maintnance(?)

Default Outboard Maintnance(?)

I have an older Evinrude 2 stroke jet motor on my boat. I was wondering if there is any type of preventive maintnance that I should do to it besides the normal greasing! I want it to last as long as possible!

Thanks...Brian

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    I have an older Evinrude 2 stroke jet motor on my boat. I was wondering if there is any type of preventive maintnance that I should do to it besides the normal greasing! I want it to last as long as possible!

Thanks...Brian

Touch up the impeller (make sure to study this before you even grab the file). Change the plugs (and check the gaps too), Clean all corroded terminals and spray down the entire motor (with cover off of course) with wd-40. If you "had a prop"........drain the lower unit gear oil.....and replace every year. Check the idle of your motor. Check the comression just for the heck of it. Run a two-stroke fuel system cleaner and a "slighlty thicker" mix ratio for your first tank of fuel for the season. If you feel your carbs aren't right......bring it to the shop. Always use the manufacturer's 2-stroke oil (a lil iso-heat doesnt hurt). If the idle is rough after possible carb issues have been resolved......time for some new reeds....cheap and easy. Fog that motor when not in use.........outboards last forever..........................

The two things I'd add is to run a good fuel filter water seperator if you aren't already. The other thing is to replace the water pump every few years. Oh, and change the oil in the lower end unit. I usually replace the lower end oil every year. Even if I haven't run the engine enough to need to replace the oil, I'm assured there is no water in the oil.

Default Save your carb!!

If it is going to sit longer than a month or so, i would put a fuel additive in so that the old fuel just sitting in there doesn't eat your carb from the inside. Sort of a "winterizing" if you will. Rebuilding a carb isn't hard, but ordering the kit and the time spent off the water is a pain in the butt, when all you had to do is put a 3 dollar additive in your gas jug and let it run through for a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    If it is going to sit longer than a month or so, i would put a fuel additive in so that the old fuel just sitting in there doesn't eat your carb from the inside. Sort of a "winterizing" if you will. Rebuilding a carb isn't hard, but ordering the kit and the time spent off the water is a pain in the butt, when all you had to do is put a 3 dollar additive in your gas jug and let it run through for a minute!
    Or better yet, drain the sucker....Last year I ran stabil through my boat down in the lower 48 and still had tons of trouble this year in getting it going thanks to ethanol poisoning. What a mess.......

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The two things I'd add is to run a good fuel filter water seperator if you aren't already. The other thing is to replace the water pump every few years. Oh, and
    change the oil in the lower end unit.
    I usually replace the lower end oil every year. Even if I haven't run the engine enough to need to replace the oil, I'm assured there is no water in the oil.
    Do I need to do this with a Jet Motor?

Brian

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    Do I need to do this with a Jet Motor?

Brian
    There is no lower unit oil in an outboard jet, just the grease for the bearing. Don't forget to grease your other zerks while you are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanonamous View Post
    There is no lower unit oil in an outboard jet, just the grease for the bearing. Don't forget to grease your other zerks while you are at it.

Brian,

I haven't been the this thread in a while. Good luck trying to drain the lower end gear oil on a jet pump that doesn't have lower end gears. You can't do it. And if you are supplying fuel to your engine from a plastic throwable tank, you really don't need a filter to separate the fuel and the water in my opinion. If you do get some water in a throwabel tank, just switch to your backup one and the drain the contaminated one when you get home. No big deal at all. Now, if you have have a large in floor tank it won't hurt at all to have a fuel water separator, but a lot of guys don't run them and take their chances as they are not running their boats miles away from the world as we know it as us guys do in the salt. But some guys do have them and with a permanent tanks I would put one in just to be safe. They are not expensive. You can buy the the fuel water separator, the barb fittings, stainless clamps, and stainless hardware to mount it for about 75-100 bucks at West Marine depending on which model you decide upon. Good insurance in my book. I hope this helps Have a good one.

Tim

what about the water pump? Is replacement of the water pump impeller necessary on an outboard jet? I know that it is required every few years for an outboard prop, but I've been told that it's not as critical on an outboard jet.

Then you've been told wrong. Keep an eye on the pisser at all times. They will go out on the jet systems also.