Thread: Boat shopping

North Pole

Default Boat shopping

I went used boat shooping and I have narrowed my choices down to three boats. I want a decent river boat that will run rivers fairly shallow, but also do ok around Valdez, or Seward. My choices are...

1995 Hewescraft River Runner 21' widebody w/350, 2000 Weldcraft Renegade 18' w/4.3L v-6, or a 2002 Duckworth Advantage 19' w/302. The duckworth is my favorite size wise, it looks like a great boat (real sturdy and great quality). It has the least hours (158), but the guy has hit a few rocks and it has some dents in the bottom. It is a river boat though too... The weldraft is very nice, but it is the smallest of them. I took it for a test ride and it rides nice, I just am concerned about its size (18ft). The cab is the smallest on it, it has 179 hrs, and it has a few dents on the bottom, as well as two 1 inch cracks I saw that need welded. Overall it is in nice shape, just its painted on the top 1/3 of the sides and the paint is a scuffed up. The hewescraft is in the best shape. Its bottom minus 1 ding on the keel is in pristine condition. The downside of it is that the carpet on the gunwales is getting old (it’s a 95) and needs replaced, as well as the floor vinyl. It is a huge boat and has a 350 in it. It also has the most hours at 358 hrs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions they could share on any or all of these boats? This will be my first inbooard... If well taken care of how long can I expect the engine to last? I know all reiver boats that have been in a river are going to have detns. When do the dents become a concern? Thanks!
    Last edited by AKShawn; 08-03-2009 at 02:35. Reason: Font

Palmer, AK.

Default Duckworth!

I'd opt for the Duck from your description. Great boat's, the 302 is proven and runs great. Have you taken any of them for a ride? The Ducks are quality boats with a nice heavy hull to take a beating and get you home again. Plus, they hold thier value unlike some of the other tin cans on the water.
    The dents in the bottom are unavoidable if you run the boat in skinny water. They become a problem when they leak or affect performance, otherwise they are purely cosmetic. I wouldn't worry about them.
    I would definetly take a ride on anything before you decide to purchase it. Also, bring the family and/or friends for the demo to make sure it will haul the load you are expecting.
    Let us know what you decide.

Fairbanks, AK

What do they have for pumps?

I agree with the previous post that you should research out the different jets that they each have. I this can be as important as the engine. I just sold my 24' Duckworth which I loved. It was a solid boat, but the one thing I did not like was the carpet on the back area since I like to fish. I don't know what you mean by dents on the bottom. Is it really deformed or just scratched on the rocks. I grounded mine on a gravel bottom so it had scratches but no dents. If the dents are not enough to weaken it or effect the performance, then you won't feel quite as bad when they day comes that you put it on the rocks yourself. As for the engine hours, none of these have many hours if they have been taken care of (not overreved, overheated, etc.) I would think all of these motors would be good for 1000+ hours if not abused.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    Fully Loaded