Thread: Chitina Needs list

Default Chitina Needs list

Hey Everyone I havent posted on the dipnetting forum before but im trying to get a supplies list going on everything i'll need for next summer for chitina dipnetting.If you would all be so kind as to tell me everything i will need since im a newbie at dipping.I so far have nothing but that will hopefully soon change as soon as i get a list going.Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts.

Net. Rope. Raingear. Food. Scissors to cut tails. Beer
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Insect repellent
    Sun blocker
    Ice
    Book to read
    Headlamp
    Bonker
    Knives, fillet, cleaver, large knife, or scissors for tails
    PERMIT and PEN
    Plastic bags, medium and large garbage type
    Coolers
    Sandwiches and snacks
    Jacket
    Rope, to tie net off with, or use going up and down cliffs depending on how you are fishing. Definitely tie your net off, it is SO much easier. have someone show you how, it is easy and makes the jom far easier.

Rain gear (I have been rianed on, snowed on, baked, and blown away as well as frozen all in the same day at Chitina. You don't normally have good days, or bad days at Chitina, it is usually good and bad moments.)

Cleaning board
    Paper towels
    Cloth towel or rags
    Rubber gloves
    Warm gloves
    Medications if needed
    Excedrin, Tylenol, or other
    Dark Glasses
    Cell phone (for on road, I doubt anything works in canyon)
    Soft drinks, Coffee or tea
    Wood and fire starter ( A sandwich bag with some sawdust or dryer lint with some charcoal lighter works great and is very compact.)
    Alarm clock
    Wet Ones
    DVD and player if you have one for down times.
    If it is your first time especially, I would definitely spend the money and charter with HEM and his partner. I am as cheap as they come, but it is well worth the money. Call them first to find out how things are going whether you plan on chartering with them or not. They have an updated phone message and they are very reliable. If they say it isnít worth making the trip, donít bother, wait until they say it is good.

If you are prepared, be prepared to have the time of your life, there is no place on earth like Chitina !

Default Other important items

I'd also bring some tools and parts to repair your net, hoop, and pole if needed:

• hack saw
    • cordless drill and bits
    • superstrut connectors
    • bolts and lock washers
    • mesh mending line or zip ties
    • extra pole and net (seriously)

One year I snagged a big rock within the first half hour and lost my whole setup. I brought a crummy backup and was able to still fish somewhat, but it was a disappointing trip.

I've also encountered others whose setups were woefully inadequate/broken and was able to do some field repairs.

It's a long way to go to get shut down by equipment failure.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Net. Rope. Raingear. Food. Scissors to cut tails. Beer
    You forgot the Q-Tips for when the wind blows so hard your ears fill up with sand Oh and the pole to put the net on . Oh and a must have for there......DUCT TAPE

Thumbs up a few reminders

beer, net, bug dope, raingear, quick ties for easyfixes on net. Rope,food, more beer, another net. Warm clothing, sunglasses, more beer, a knife or scissors to cut tails and some more beer. Credit card for extra vehicle gas, a debit card for Hem and maybe a little more beer. By the way, beer is a great trading source on the river. In fact, beer has been a tradded commodity for the last 30 years since I have been here. Duck tape, pliers and some more trading resource.... I hope you are seeing the big picture here!! Good luck and we know you WILL forget your Toothbrush and a belt. That is where beer fits into the picture. Good luck

Default my list

permit
    Fillet Knives
    Sharpener
    Leather gloves
    Parachute cord
    Scissors (for clipping tails0
    Fish bat
    Net and pole (bring at least 2)
    Backpack
    4 Wheeler
    Tiedowns
    Bungee cords
    Cooler
    Food
    tent
    sleeping bag
    duct tape
    matches
    propane and burner
    rain gear
    tarp
    camera
    cash (not req but i bring it)
    Most importantly A good attitude
    best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    permit
    Fillet Knives
    Sharpener
    Leather gloves
    Parachute cord
    Scissors (for clipping tails0
    Fish bat
    Net and pole (bring at least 2)
    Backpack
    4 Wheeler
    Tiedowns
    Bungee cords
    Cooler
    Food
    tent
    sleeping bag
    duct tape
    matches
    propane and burner
    rain gear
    tarp
    camera
    cash (not req but i bring it)
    Most importantly A good attitude
    best of luck to you!
    What??? No beer???

Default Thank you

Hey thank you everyone for all of the replies.I think I get the general picture of what i need.I will certaintly bring the beer lol as well as a couple nets and poles umm..Just one last question does anyone know where I should purchase these nets from?

Just save yourself the trouble and avoid Chitina.....It's addicting.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

depends on what city you are in. IN fairbanks, I would got to Frontier and get the blue pole that you can get xtensions for. I LOVE ine, had it for several yrs now. The only draw back is that it slightly heavier that avg. so if you are in spot the requires sweeping.. you are going to work a bit harder. This is exactly why I dont like sweeping and avoid it like the plague.

ON tuesday the charter guys dropped us off in a spot that requried sweeping... but the fishing was too good to complain. My partner even had 3 doubles.. beginners luck.

Default Thank you

I live in fairbanks.I saw some of the black ones with like a shovel handle at freddy's,Are those worth buying? Also saw some at sam's club last winter.I havent been to frontier outfitters before but i will check them out as well.Thank you for the advice.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

All other aspects being equal, my personal preference would be to have the net as well as the pole and hoop as close as practical, and possible, to the color or shade, of the water -- down there a light, flat, gray. Sometimes compromises need to be made, but you can always rattle can spray paint your hoop and pole to match the conditions, so donĎt pass up a good deal if other than color, it is a good rig. Another tip I picked up several years ago is when you are just holding your net in the water in an eddy, tie off the hoop using hose clamps and a rope bridle, to the shore at an angle as it greatly reduces the strain on both you and the equipment. Granted, you will lose a fish once in a while from hitting the extra rope, bridle, and sometimes the added unwieldiness of the rig, but it sure is a lot less tiring. Do some experimenting with the bridle and rope angle and you will find something that works for you and gives good performance as well.

Thumbs up beer

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    What??? No beer???
    Nope too busy fishing...
    Plus liquor is quicker, and less bulky

yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Default black or blue??

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    I live in fairbanks.I saw some of the black ones with like a shovel handle at freddy's,Are those worth buying? Also saw some at sam's club last winter.I havent been to frontier outfitters before but i will check them out as well.Thank you for the advice.
    I personally would stay away from the black flexible poles for a few reasons. First they are long and bulky which makes it tougher for transport. Second they bend more than i like.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I personally would stay away from the black flexible poles for a few reasons. First they are long and bulky which makes it tougher for transport. Second they bend more than i like.
    Which poles do you use while dipping??
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Default Beware Black Fiberglass Poles

The fiberglass breaks down around the button the holds your hoop in place. After a while, you'll notice that the hoop is not in the same position relative to the handle. Before long, the pole itself will split around the button hole and you can lose your hoop. You can saw off the pole and drill a new hole, but you'll only have to do it again.

I've sworn them off. The ones that I still have are not ever used. You need something strong and reliable for the Copper.

A description of what I use can be found here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...887#post512887

Here is what the connector between the hoop and pole looks like:

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    depends on what city you are in. IN fairbanks, I would got to Frontier and get the blue pole that you can get xtensions for. I LOVE ine, had it for several yrs now. The only draw back is that it slightly heavier that avg. so if you are in spot the requires sweeping.. you are going to work a bit harder. This is exactly why I dont like sweeping and avoid it like the plague.

ON tuesday the charter guys dropped us off in a spot that requried sweeping... but the fishing was too good to complain. My partner even had 3 doubles.. beginners luck.
    Does anyone know if nets like those sold at Frontier Outfitters are available in the Valley or Anchorage?
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Which poles do you use while dipping??
    I use the blue poles that i got from Frontier outfitters/Sentry hardware. I got my whole set up there. I bought 2 (6 ft) sections of blue, and one hoop with black net and one shovel handle. I get into town tonight, i will help ya out if you want...