Thread: Banard Glacier Sheep

Default Banard Glacier Sheep

I am heading out to Banard glacier this sheep season and was wondering if anyone has been there and can give me any information about what the hunting is like in the area. thanks

I have never been but have a couple of friends that go every year. Pretty rough area I am told. Sometimes they score....sometimes they don't. One of them did shoot a 42" several years ago, so some big un's are there! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    I am heading out to Banard glacier this sheep season and was wondering if anyone has been there and can give me any information about what the hunting is like in the area. thanks
    Hit this and use the google search engine to find all sorts of info

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/search.php

I have been there, though we didn't get too far in. I can tell you this, as sheep hunting goes, this is probably one of the toughest.
    Lots of loose gravel along the glacier, then there is the ice itself to deal with.
    But like the others said, the potential is there for very large rams.
    I think if you were a Navy Seal you would not be too tough for this hunt.
    This advice is probably true for all sheep hunts-Go as far up the drainage as you can.

Default Smoke

The Chakina Fire is going to put all hunting in this area on a severe backburner. It is much worse than Fairbanks. The NPS basically let it go and it is pretty bad now. You might see if you can change your plans and hunt a week or two later.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Thanks for the smoke update! Any other smoke info on the north side of the Wrangells? Nabesna? Chisana?

Thanks,
    JB